Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

normal air intake vs pod filter vs cold air intake: fuel economy

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Don't you worry I would never actually spend any money on a cai or pod or any of that make believe junk. Haha

Now shut this thread down mods!!

If you would never waste the money , how exactly do come to these conclusions , without backing them up. I can testify to their benefits when combined with other modifications ,in my case Mace CAI and 25mm insulators , but expect them to tear off down the road in a cloud of tyre smoke ?
Er no .
now you can shut it down .

Last edited:

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
What he said

Okay look yes there are minute proven benefits what I'm getting at is its a waste of money for $300 (not far off a mace cai) you can get a decent cam? That's all I'm getting at

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id go with the cam over spacers and aftermarket airboxes. These engines go ok for a 6 with the right cam fitted.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
For me didn`t want a cam just did roller rockers + mace pod +2.5 cat back + tune by The1 it was enough.

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Same deal here when I had the VX , on my SV 6 all I've done is CAI and insulators , the cams for the Alloytec are over $1000 and also factor in that some cams require a tune to suit as well to get the best results , the cost yeah nah .

Last edited:

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Same deal here when I had the VX , on my SV 6 all I've done is CAI and insulators , the cams for the Alloytec are over $1000 and also factor in that some cams require a tune to suit as well to get the best results , the cost yeah nah .

We're not talking alloytec this is an Eco and an xp hot cam ( decent cam) is $250.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Okay look yes there are minute proven benefits what I'm getting at is its a waste of money for $300 (not far off a mace cai) you can get a decent cam? That's all I'm getting at

Yes, very true, MACE CAI $270, cam $480 but..... You can fit the CAI without any other mods, however with a cam you need to have it fitted, it may very well require other parts that match the cam and then it will need to be tuned. You could get the MACE stage 2 Comp Cams cam&tune package, but it will still cost you about $1000 and that is without even paying to have someone install it for you.

No way, no how can you compare a CAI Vs A cam in costs or results. BTW, even with the cam fitted, I would still recommend fitting the CAI :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
We're not talking alloytec this is an Eco and an xp hot cam ( decent cam) is $250.

No-where have I seen the XP Hot cam for that sort of money, care to share a link?