Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Nuclear Power in Australia

Are you pro-nuclear?

• Yes I support nuclear power in Australia

Votes: 49 81.7%
  • No I am a misinformed puppet

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • I'm unsure as I've heard arguments both for and against

Votes: 8 13.3%

• Total voters

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
I am well aware this is a controversial topic, but one I quite enjoy discussing. So, rather than try and type everything I know on the subject, its much quicker for me to just discuss each point as it is brought up.

Do you support nuclear power in Australia? Why?

vr_owner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 3.8lt executive
im all for it if theres sufficient protection and its well away from a well populated area from animals and humans.

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
Im all for it, purely because it seems like the bloody obvious way to go.

It's cleaner and more efficient than current options, has more of a future and will also allow us to make money if we chose to sell it overseas.

I think with the systems these days security wont be a problem, meltdowns etc shouldn't be an issue any more. Id be happy to have either 1 massive plant in the outback someplace that supplied all of Australia, or maybe smaller ones for each state (more likely), depends how they want to push it.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
im all for it

as a electrician i see all forms of power and power usage, i have a great interest in generation of power, and different ways we can do it.

solar and wind power is such a huge outlay at the start, and just not a viable option.
coal or oil fired power stations are pumping out that much co2 it's not funny, not to mention all the other crap they do, and it uses heaps of water

nuclear power still uses water to cool things, but it's a cleaner form of heat production. there is less steam loss threw turbine rotation, and it cools quicker than normal steam. im all for nuclear power,

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I am well aware this is a controversial topic, but one I quite enjoy discussing. So, rather than try and type everything I know on the subject, its much quicker for me to just discuss each point as it is brought up.

Do you support nuclear power in Australia? Why?

I am a supporter of nuclear power but think the wording of your poll cannot give an objective result.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
im all for it

as a electrician i see all forms of power and power usage, i have a great interest in generation of power, and different ways we can do it.

solar and wind power is such a huge outlay at the start, and just not a viable option.
coal or oil fired power stations are pumping out that much co2 it's not funny, not to mention all the other crap they do, and it uses heaps of water

nuclear power still uses water to cool things, but it's a cleaner form of heat production. there is less steam loss threw turbine rotation, and it cools quicker than normal steam. im all for nuclear power,

Actually the capital cost of nuclear power makes all of the above look like chicken feed. The cost per kw hour after the plant is built is extremely low. Spread the capital cost over the total output in the life of the plant and the cost per hour are slightly higher than most other methods of generation. Of course you also need to factor the cost of finance on top of this figure.

From what I have read, the real benefits are environmental. Nuclear have virtually zero emissions when compared to coal, gas or even many of the co-gen plants around. The major issues with wind and solar are the relatively small amounts of power you generate per unit. Most of Australia would need to be covered in solar panels and windmills to give enough base load to the grid, let alone the peak load. Solar does have the potential to get better as solar technology improves however it has a long way to go and will always be an issue when it's dark.

Reaper

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
I work in the coal indusrty my job is to dig big holes in the ground and rape mother nature of her black goodness lol so i dont suport the nuclear power

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
Here is a website on the subject I found interesting.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/

About 30% of the worlds power is currently supplied by nuclear reactors and there have been no major problems with any of them since Chernobyl. I often wander where we would be now if Chernobyl didnt happen and the knee jerk reaction against nuclear power hadnt occured. There could possibly of been a lot more plants already running and reducing greenhouse gas emissions and improving economies of scale to bring down the capital and running costs.

I find it amazing that human kind is so illogical that if one big event occurs(Chernobyl, September 11 etc)we will spend massive amounts of manpower and money fighting that thing but if the deaths are spread out no one gives a ****. Car crashes kill more people every year than nuclear power ever could but most people arent calling for cars to be banned or fearing every time they get behind the wheel, its just an accepted risk. Cigarettes kill more people than "terrorists" ever could but we dont have a war on tobacco and go out slashing tobacco fields and burning them and locking up people who smoke and shooting the tobacco "dealers" etc.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
to be honest i dont know much about the pros and cons of nuclear power so i cant really say if im for or against it

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
at the moment im all for it, but i don't know to much about this nuclear power so i'll be watching this thread closely.
im all for it because i do believe this is the way will eventually go and if it will lower emmissions and be a better power so to say then lets get it going.