Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Number plates : slimline to standard replacements?

White beast 2023

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore
Hello everyone, a few days ago i purchased a new car , anyways I have just got AFL number plate surrounds, except they don't fit my current plates as I found out, which means I'm going have to replace both set of plates and go back to standard plates.

My new car is finally officially in my name, does anyone know how much it costs to replace my slimline plates to standard plates, as I've looked online on VicRoads saying it's cost $495 but I already own vehicle and the plates.

Thanks

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
That sounds about right for VicRoads !
You don’t actually own the plates,
You paid for the plates !
To get another set produced, that’s what it’s going to cost you,
And they are priced like that, because they know people will pay it.
And we all know, the plates are cheap pressed aluminium, and with a bit of paint on them.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Further to your query,

Some time back I ordered some plates (standard issue in general run sequence) and got standard size plates,
I then wanted slim line plates of the same registration number, for my next new car I had bought.
And had to pay the same price again.
So I know exactly what your asking.
And VicRoads wins again.
So I have both sets of plates in my cupboard, not sure what to do with them.

Also, if you wish to transfer the plates you have in your possession to another car,
It also costs a fair bit to transfer them to another car,
Again, VicRoads wins.

Thieves !

Last edited:

White beast 2023

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore
Further to you query,

Some time back I ordered some plates (standard issue in general run sequence) and got standard size plates,
I then wanted slim line plates of the same registration number,
And had to pay the same price again.
So I know exactly what your asking.
And VicRoads wins again.
Looks like I'm going to have to go to VicRoads tomorrow to get this sorted out.

As I had plans of getting brand new plates ,but was going to be way too expensive so I'm probably just going to go my current plates and switch it to standard plates as it would be a much better option.

Btw do you they give you plates at VicRoads or do they deliver them to your house?

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
You need to collect them from VicRoads,
Remember to take your license with you,
As they will ask you to produce identification,

Depending where you are,
Some of the VicRoad centres are slow,
So allow yourself at least an hour.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
According to VicRoads, there are new issue fees and replacement plate fees…

So generally it costs you $125 to replace one custom plates with standard size plates, $195 for two…

New issue custom plates depends on what type but they start from $495…

New Signature custom plates are a crazy $3995 ….

Guess vanity costs :p

If they are standard issue plates you have, replacement costs $36.20 for one and $72.40 for two normal sized plates :p

PS: they are normally mail them to your house… As the below website states:

Replacement plate(s) are normally mailed to the address of the registered operator of the vehicle 7-10 working days after the order is placed.

(amazing what you can find via google :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Hello everyone, a few days ago i purchased a new car , anyways I have just got AFL number plate surrounds, except they don't fit my current plates as I found out, which means I'm going have to replace both set of plates and go back to standard plates.

My new car is finally officially in my name, does anyone know how much it costs to replace my slimline plates to standard plates, as I've looked online on VicRoads saying it's cost $495 but I already own vehicle and the plates.

Thanks

I’m assuming that you have ALF surrounds for a standard sized number plate ( and not AFL custom plates)? So, you are trying to change from a standard issue slim plate to a standard issue full sized plate?

Check with VicRoads, but it looks like it’s about $36.20 per plate for standard plates. What you need to check is if that is still applicable to changing from slim to standard.

6AF32DE8-F9EE-4FDE-B37D-F0DADA1492CE.jpeg

White beast 2023

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore
I’m assuming that you have ALF surrounds for a standard sized number plate ( and not AFL custom plates)? So, you are trying to change from a standard issue slim plate to a standard issue full sized plate?

Check with VicRoads, but it looks like it’s about $36.20 per plate for standard plates. What you need to check is if that is still applicable to changing from slim to standard.

View attachment 249227
Yes I do have AFL surrounds, I was thinking of replacing my number plates with AFL custom plates but it's going to be more expensive so I went for the much cheaper option with the AFL surrounds $40 compared to $500.

As I said previously I will need to change my plates from slimline to standard so it fits in AFL surrounds perfectly which I will be doing tomorrow.

Thank you for the information about the costing involved with the standard plates prices.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
What you need to check is if that is still applicable to changing from slim to standard.
From the web site, it seems what you pay for is the plate type (be it general, custom , signature, etc) and there is an extra fee if you want that plate type in slimline size as compared to full size.

But it’s the plate numbers/letters combo that is assigned to your vehicle and I doubt they record whether it’s full size or slimline against your vehicle.

So at time of replacement, i’d assume you simply choose whether you want standard or slimline sized plates. But confirming this with VicRoads would be a good idea…

Whatever the case, you need a reason for the replacement(s) and the best/easiest reason is they we’re damaged. Claiming they were stolen has extra requirements on you as the stolen plates must be reported to police.

Unlike NSW, at least you don’t have a yearly custom plate fee but being that VicRoads was privatised, who knows what these money hungry pricks will try in future.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
From the web site, it seems what you pay for is the plate type (be it general, custom , signature, etc) and there is an extra fee if you want that plate type in slimline size as compared to full size.

But it’s the plate numbers/letters combo that is assigned to your vehicle and I doubt they record whether it’s full size or slimline against your vehicle.

So at time of replacement, i’d assume you simply choose whether you want standard or slimline sized plates. But confirming this with VicRoads would be a good idea…

Whatever the case, you need a reason for the replacement(s) and the best/easiest reason is they we’re damaged. Claiming they were stolen has extra requirements on you as the stolen plates must be reported to police.

Unlike NSW, at least you don’t have a yearly custom plate fee but being that VicRoads was privatised, who knows what these money hungry pricks will try in future.

From my limited experience with replacing number plates at VicRoads, the questions I have in my mind are:

(a) whether the OP wants the same registration number reissued in the different plate size, or whether then are happy to take the next plate in the general issue sequence. I have found that if one is happy to take the next general issue registration number, it is a walk-in-walk-out scenario. There is certainly a delay when having the original registration number reused as they have to make the replacements specially. They are usually posted out and the old ones posted back. I’m not sure if this involves additional fees.

(b) and a pedantic reading of the VicRoads site is that it doesn’t make crystal clear if there is a fee involved from going from slim- to standard-plates (whereas there definitely seems to be a price penalty going from standard to slim).

I don’t think that there will be any issue with requesting replacement plates as ‘damage’ can be very subjective. All the OP needs to do (if challenged) it just bend the plates and they are ‘damaged’! :)

Anyway, VicRoads will be able to clear it up for the OP.

Custom plates are different situation again!