Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

o2 sensor malfunctioning?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Last edited:

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Bit of a late reply...

Checked my injectors for leaks, didnt spot any, though the injectors themselves were pretty carboned up... Might be a sign of an issue there.

Haven't yet checked the o2 sensor. From what i hear, you need a 22mm ring spanner to remove it, and does it need to be unplugged to be removed for inspection?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
you wont tell much by looking at it, need to use scantool or laptop with logging enabled really to test the o2's

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Will do when i have access to a laptop again. And ill grab a few screencaps.

Should i be looking at these data ranges to see if anything looks suss?

change injector time and on efilive to o2 sensor volts by right clicking on the gauge and selecting o2 voltage should flutuate beween 300mv and 600mv or so when in closed loop. at at idle and high throttle will go up into the .800mv if it just hovers down in the 300 range all the time shes dead just not dead enough to set off error codes :D or you have a serious fuel supply issue

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
Look for 02 cross counts, with the car fully warmed up in closed loop and the foot on the throttle you should be getting cross counts. If there's no crosscounts then it's dead you will most likely see a flatline or pretty close to it on the o2 voltage they usually flatline rich or lean so it could be 100mv or 900mv or if it's not quite dead yet it will vary in voltage but it will be to slow to register a crosscount. A crosscount is the o2 crossing the 14.7:1 AFR, so if it goes rich then backup past 14.7:1 to lean then it will register a crosscount, with a steady 2000 - 3000rpm you should be getting 5+ crosscounts on a good o2 sensor.

Here's the test with the tech1 scantool it forces a rich and lean mixture to see if the o2 sensor responds, this one failed.
www.eyeit.org/holden/02sensortest.mov