Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oh jeez i need help

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
ok ive just aquired an old VC SL/E that hasnt been used in about 4 years. It has been outside all this time and ive just gotten it home.

I put a good battery into it and the gauges light up, the wipers work, the little water squirters work, lights work, highbeams work, indicators work, voltmeter works, LPG tank primes and the petrol clicks in, aircon works...

But when i turn the key nothing happens, the voltmeter moves a little but nothing. also i have noticed that in the steerting column where the peice of metal moves when you turn the key there are small sparks. which gets me nervous.

I have just taken out the starter motor and cleaned it all up and but it back into the car and still nothing (i swear i heard the solanoid make a click noise though). And now all of a sudden when i turned on the highbeams all electrics stop working until i turn off the highbeams.

Specs of the car so u know wats in it:

308 Black motor with electric dizzy (instead of the blue)
4 speed chevy trans with B&M shift
LPG Crow cam
LPG installed
Bored to a 312 - 5.1 litre.

any one know whats wrong?

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
Sparks near the key? check the ignition wiring in the column. Someone may have tried to steal it at some point but stuffed up

Paiste402

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
Sparks near the key? check the ignition wiring in the column. Someone may have tried to steal it at some point but stuffed up

actually it has been stolen twice in its life haha,

thanks mate

Trav001

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 VH SL 3.3 Litre 5 speed, 2002 VY Executive
you may wanna look at geting an immobaliser fitted,

Paiste402

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
you may wanna look at geting an immobaliser fitted,

yea that would be smart, dont wanna lose it again.

does anyone know what needs to be done to change the locks on the front doors? they are a bit chewed out and useless

Paiste402

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
sorry to resserect a dead thread but i still need a hand

i put in a recond starter motor to see what happens and still nothin.

Im scrapping my wagon to put parts into this car and i just dont know what it needs

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
To change the door locks, take off the door skin, unhook the lock, and all that holds it in is a wierd type of circlip thing. Just use some pliers or sumfin to pull it off from around the lock and she'll fall out.

With the starter motor issues. I'd pull the steering colum apart and start going through all the wires with a test light making sure they are working correctly. If u use a screwdriver or sumfin and place it on the positive side of the starter motor (which has the fat cables on it) and on the positive side of the solenoid (has a purple wire on it I rekon), it should kick in and start turning over the motor. If it does, well the starter is ok. So u start going backwards through the wiring to see wats goin on. Get a test light onto the starter solenoid (purple wire like mentioned above) and see if it gets power when the ignition is put into the 'start' position (so you'll prolly need someone to turn the key). If there's no power, check the same wire where it comes out of the ignition. If it has power, well somewhere between there and the starter is where the problem is, maybe run a new wire, or try and fix the old one. If there's no power, the ignition is either screwed, or there's no input power for the ignition, but if ur dash lights and that light up when the ignition is turned on I'd say there is power.

I'll go get a pic of my ignition and show ya wat wires are wat if I can still work it out :thumbsup:

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Ok here we go.

First of all, if u have an auto u also have the neutral safety switch. This is a switch so when the car is not in Park or Neutral it will not start. The switch is in the middle of the purple wire which goes from the ignition to the starter solenoid. The switch itself is around the gear shifter. Maybe hunt around with a test light and see wat u can find. See if power is going in, and coming out.

Here's the starter motor.

DSCF4249640x480.jpg

For the starter to work it needs power, earth and a signal wire. Power is achieved by the fat cables which run from the battery onto the positive post. Earth is easy as it's earthed out through the motor. The signal wire is attached on a male spade clip, which normally would be purple I rekon. My wires are different as everything is getting rewired. The pic doesn't show the signal wire onto the terminal, but I figured the picture could still help.

Here's the ignition wires. I've only got a few connected, as this is all that is needed for the car to start and run.
DSCF4250640x480.jpg

You should have a connector where I have the wires. One wire (big red, with blue tape around the heatshrink) is power. This wire goes to the positive post on the starter motor, so it has direct power all the time. This is the input power for the ignition. The skinny red wire with the blue terminal is the starter signal wire (normally purple) which goes to the male spade connector on the starter solenoid (or neutral safety switch as mentioned above). When the ignition is in the 'start' position, it sends power to the solenoid to start turning over the starter motor.

Now the last 2 wires here are outputs. The reason they are linked is because they go to the same thing. They both run to the positive side of the coil. There are 2 outputs as one is for when the ignition is on the 'ON' position, and one for the 'START' position. If u leave one disconnected, we'll say the 'ON' one, the coil will get power when it's cranking over, but when u turn the key back to 'ON', there will be no power going to the coil....so yeah these are linked together so the coil gets power when the key is in the 'ON' position AND the 'START' position.

Hopefully this will help ya out. I'm not good at writing real good sentences so hopefully ya can make out wat I'm tryng to say haha.

But yeah, get a test light and start playing around! :thumbsup:

Paiste402

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
damn good post mate! but im still a little confused which may be why i cant get this car to turn over.

Ive got a VB 4.2 V8 wagon as well and ive changed that starter motor 4 times now and its worked everytime and there are only 2 wires. One which comes off the battery and one which is the little slide on female plug. This works but i see in ur pic that you have more than 2 wires! Ive wired up my VC the same way but there are multiple male slide on plugs, are they all the same but for different vantage points (eg. so it will fit cars that have different length wires) or am i wiring this one up wrong as well?

Also the starter motor makes NO noise at all, no clunk or notin. And yes then the starter motor is good, i used it 2 days ago in my wagon.

thanks heaps man

PRH

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp s utility,and a KENWORTH
Ok from what your saying i suspect you have a voltage drop problem,you need a volt meter a cheap digital one will do.
The fact that everything goes stupid with the hibeams on indicates an earthing fault,what you need to do is to put the negative probe on the earth on the battery terminal and check the voltage at the ign switch,now turn on the lights and see what happens,if the voltage drops right down then work ya way back towards the battery positive post at the battery,then check the earths in a similar way by putting the positve probe on the postive post of the battery and check the voltage at the body earths.
Once you have eliminated these as a cause of problems check the starter engaging circuit,to do this earth the neg probe and probe the starter cable should be purple at the ign switch,been to may years for me to remember exactly where the lume goes but it will go to the trans shifter,and then down to the starter,bere in mind i beleive you have a different trans in the car so it might be down on the side of the trans itself.
If this dont help then ya might need to take to an auto electrician,if ya like you pay the fuel and i'll be down next weekend plus grog lol
Phillip :wax: