Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Okay, getting over this...

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
No it won't.

The key only operates the central locking system which does not work if there is no battery power. It is not a mechanical key.

The RACQ had to prize open the door frame a little at the top to insert a long wire to pull the bonnet release !!!!

UMM, not a mechanical key? why is there a door lock on the driver side handle?, you turn the key left to the back of the car and it will unlock the car.

BruceSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS auto
note when you do that all the doors unlock (central locking) not just the driver's door
try lifting the bonnet, lock the doors, disconnect the battery and try the key - see how you go

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
even if the battery is flat or disconnected you can still open the car by manually by the key it takes a bit of effort but still does & why do i open my bonnet the battery is in the back

CJY92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
No it won't.

The key only operates the central locking system which does not work if there is no battery power. It is not a mechanical key.

The RACQ had to prize open the door frame a little at the top to insert a long wire to pull the bonnet release !!!!
you can unlock the car manually, once in you can open the bonnet (which is mechanical) you can jump start it by using the two terminals or even get into the boot to change or charge the battery by pulling the yellow ring that you can see if you pull down the middle seat(which is also mechanical)
I know this cause I left my lights on accidentally when changing them which completely drained that battery.

BruceSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS auto
Sorry I meant open the the boot, I said bonnet as that had to be opened to connect another battery to open and start.
Have you ACTUALLY used the key when battery has been disconnected or dead flat?

westy27

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
yes i have, when i had the battery out of the car and the missus shut the boot! put key in and turn. Holden would not make a car that you cant get into if the battery was dead!

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Holden would not make a car that you cant get into if the battery was dead!

Exactly.... and its not just Holden, it's anyone. There's a reason keys still exist, and there's a reason bonnet releases are still mechanical and not electronic. Safety first and foremost... regardless of power (or lack there of due to fault or battery drain), access to cabin and engine bay must always be available. I'm not going to waste hours reading up ADR's now, but without question there would be a requirement for mechanical release to doors and bonnet that doesnt rely on power.