Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opinions of VE

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
Oh I don't know... A rodeo going 80 will easily overtake a Paris-Dakar ute going 50.

starts getting a little harder when they are doing 78 though

mov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V IGNITION
Still have my 06 SSV and still look forward to driving it everyday!
Recently had Varex installed and I think they are great. Can go from a awesome growl (no too loud) to a quieter than stock stealth mode with the touch of a button... fantastic.
Would happily buy and recommend V8 VE to anyone.

PhatCommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais, VR Wagon
I've had my 06 Calais for nearly 2 years and I love it. It was obviously a big step up from my VR but I'm very happy with the way it drives and the V8 power.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I have been chucking the pros and cons around a bit.
I like the comfort of the newer VE. It has all the goodies of course but what I really feel is the driver being removed from any direct contact with the car and what it is doing. Like in the VP I can feel what the engine is doing and really, everything the car is doing. I can estimate speed from the sounds and vibration (no it isn't a bucket of poo). The VZ also still has good interaction between the driver and the car. I find the VZ seats much comfier than the VE. Especially the back seats. After driving the VE, I still prefer driving the VP, it is still enjoyable, in fact I love driving it even more now. The VZ has the same motor and similarities with the gear box and I find driving the VZ is better over all too. Might not handle as well but still is better to drive because I feel what the car is doing.

The VE is like being in a cone of silence where only gearbox vibration between 70 and 80 allows the driver to guesstimate the speed. Under or over that and 140 feels the same as 95. Little things like the feel of the accelerator and the previously un-noticed engine vibrations through the cable are not there and is noticeable in it's absence on the VZ too.

It's like we are not allowed to feel what the car is doing. We must instead be removed from it and told what it is doing via a barrage of distracting beeps and displays :(

LuminaME

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE Lumina 3.6L
Meh - most of the euro offerings are grossly overpriced when you consider what you actually get for that money. Is a M5 3x better than a GTS??? (They cost 3 x as much).

Reaper

+1
Guess it's beyond the point to argue about quality or performance of high end european cars, but if price is included in the comparison VE (and many other cars) has big chance to win ... for the price of a VE (V6) here i could ride in a cheap C180 Benz , which is a really CHEAP car (and I don't mean it's price)... hence I'm driving the VE now.
but if one likes to pay for a BMW M5 or Benz S500 ...then why not...those great cars too :)

to OP ... VE is smartyl placed in market as great option IMO,I haven't seen anything seriouly negative about it, the sound system i could manage about with few hundred dollars ;)

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I like the comfort of the newer VE. It has all the goodies of course but what I really feel is the driver being removed from any direct contact with the car and what it is doing. Like in the VP I can feel what the engine is doing and really, everything the car is doing. I can estimate speed from the sounds and vibration (no it isn't a bucket of poo). The VZ also still has good interaction between the driver and the car. I find the VZ seats much comfier than the VE. Especially the back seats. After driving the VE, I still prefer driving the VP, it is still enjoyable, in fact I love driving it even more now. The VZ has the same motor and similarities with the gear box and I find driving the VZ is better over all too. Might not handle as well but still is better to drive because I feel what the car is doing.

The VE is like being in a cone of silence where only gearbox vibration between 70 and 80 allows the driver to guesstimate the speed. Under or over that and 140 feels the same as 95. Little things like the feel of the accelerator and the previously un-noticed engine vibrations through the cable are not there and is noticeable in it's absence on the VZ too.

It's like we are not allowed to feel what the car is doing. We must instead be removed from it and told what it is doing via a barrage of distracting beeps and displays :(

Wow. That's a big call. I've had a VP Calais aswell as a vy ute prior to this one and I disagree. Yes, the VP gave lots of feedback but it was by no means accurate feedback, mainly due to the fact that the car didn't respond accurately to input. I find the VE to give plenty of feedback in the RIGHT areas ie steering, grip and braking. The steerieng is a lot more communicative than previous models and responds a lot better to smaller adjustments of the wheel... The dead zone is much smaller. Also when the back end starts to break traction, you get a constant and progressive nudge through the seat letting you know just how unstuck you are rather than the guessing of the previous models. Its true that you don't get the same sense of speed as in the VP but for me, that's a good thing. It means the car is better balanced and more confident at speed rather than overly light and skittish like the VP. Don't get me wrong. I liked my VP. And I liked my VY. But neither were as accomplished or surefooted or even as much fun as this one. And I'm certain the next model I buy will be an improvement aswell (unless they kill off the v8s and turn hybrid... Ewww)

Passion Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
All Commodores are varying degrees of ****. They seem worse when you're driving BMW, Mercedes and Porsche all day. I certainly won't ever buy another one.

I agree m500

My father has had BWW's and Mercedes all his life...importing them directly ..he currently owns 5 of them - including a current limited model 6 series BMW coupe bought for $220k and an '02 Mercedes S430 bought for the same.....but has absolute praise for my VE Calais and says the ride rivals the 5 series BMW...and the sound system was comparable too..VERY impressed with the VE he is...
You can get cheapie new BMW's and mercs too, both for around the 50k like the VE...so no big deal driving one.

Anyone who tosses in a statement like that is either full of it ...desperate to appear superior....and has no real clue.

BTW....I am LOVING my '06 Calais.....just love it.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L

Hey Fu Manchu (good name :)), did you by chance drive a VE with the old powertrain or the new one? Because the new engine and auto box have to be driven to be appreciated for what they are. Holden have done an awesome job improving things there. I know what you are saying with the 'disconnect' but pretty much all new cars have more things being run by a computer these days, so thats to be expected. And you need to remember who Holden are targetting... its not rev heads who want to feel the road more (im one of them), its people who want quiet and comfort. For those who want more interaction, well thats where aftermarket mods come in. Lower profile rubber and stiffer/lower springs give that extra feel. Thats what I did! ;)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It's a Calais V. 5 speed and 195 motor. We own it and it isn't something I have drive once or twice.
Throttle response is something I don't like on both our VZ and VE. In the VP, you nudge the throttle and I get instant response. Much more fun to drive. When I feel like a sleep at the wheel, I'll get into the VE :( It seems to be made for having a kip, not being alert to the car and your surroundings.

I cans see perhaps that a V8 would provide a different feel with more weight and sound to tune the driving senses than in the V6. I can imagine the 8's to be a bit different. Don't get me wrong, with nearly 20 years of technology separating the VP, the VE is much more advanced, goes with out saying. Doesn't make it better necessarily. So many beeps and **** going on. The VP has a speedo, tacho and the after market stereo set up does well enough. Get in it and bloody drive it. No is your seat belt on, are the heaters set to my requirements, have I got my desired selection of instrument readouts up? frickin' parkin' sensors beeping at me shortly before I smash it to stop the infernal beeping. (I swear I switched it off last time :lol:) When I park, I am actually watching what I am doing unlike the sensory deprived soccer mums and grocery shoppers on their phones. :lol: