Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Options for a good lumpy cam for my VE SSV?

VE-SSV-NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Darwin
Not really too sure on which cam options to choose for for my SSV L98? I just want something pure nice and loud but still good for a daily and a rough price on end result? Thanks

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
What cam should I get ?
When choosing a cam you have to be brutally honest with yourself about what you want out of your car and intend to do with it.
I must admit...Big, lumpy and grumpy sounds awesome, but is it really what you need or what you really want... And can you live with it on a day to day basis too.
Instead of going on about cam size and other upgrades needed to go along with the cam etc etc etc, I suggest that you go and speak to a couple of the Tuners in town and tell them what you want to get out of your car. Answer any of their questions they ask you honestly as well.
Peckys Performance....Winnellie
Campbell Brothers Racing...Humpty Doo
These guys can offer you the advice on a package (cam & parts required) to meet your desired outcome and you can ask them as many questions as you like.

Post up what was recommended and I'm sure someone will post their experience and knowledge with you.

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
You need to tell is your car a auto or manual
What's intended primary use for car
Any other mods to support cam
Gear ratio, ect
To answer you question
In a manual 6 litre L98 no bigger than a vcm 7
All good to cam your car but if it's not tuned by someone who knows how to get it driving good, then don't bother

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
VCM 7's are no more - I've got a new 714 grind which is a nice compromise for lumpy vs easy to drive. Classic 232/234 but on a 114 LSA so it's a little better manners wise. Mine's a manual with stock gearing, but you'd probably need at least a small stall in an auto to go with. Made 440rwhp with slightly tickled heads, doesn't surge much as I've got a good tuner and is quite nice to drive.

VE-SSV-NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Darwin
Do you have any clue if they have replaced the vcm 7 or totally got rid of it? Is there a similar size to the 7? And that's a good result of power, close to what I'm trying to reach

VE-SSV-NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Darwin
Cheers mate. Mines an auto but I'm planing to install anything that's needed to get a perfect cam with a grumpy sound. And would go the extra length of sending a pro tuner up here to do the tuning on point

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
You may find VCM7's on Ebay.
Found a seller a few months back that was still selling VCM's old grind numbers.
Can't remember who it was though.

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
Buy comp 232/234 same or near spec as the vcm 7, or something like camtech 224/228 581 590 112 lsa will be better down low under 2500 rpm

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
The VCM options are the 714 like I have (232/234 114LSA) or there's a 710 I think (232/234 110LSA). I went the 714 because the wider seperation gives it better manners, and it has a little more lift (.605/.610 off the top of my head vs .590/.596).

Drives nicely for a biggish cam and I have a stock clutch and stock diff gears. With a good twin plate and some 3.9 diff gears it should be a ripper.