Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Other Lockdown Project - Racing Sim

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
So here is the first project I had on the go.

As us Victorians know we've been locked down the most in Oz and were forced to stay home in our 5km radius. So what does this nut do.. build a racing sim :D

This one will be light on pics initally and is currently on hold until I free up some space in the garage.

I started with a shitty old generic brand wheel mount on a small table, playing need for speed 2 underground on the projector.

Super uncomfortable, so started checking out arcade sims. Found a design I liked and got started. Again being the tightass I am I had left over mdf.

First things first I need to ensure it was going to fit in the house, to my wife's dismay.

Built the base then started shaping the sides. I wanted the wheel to be adjustable just like a car sterring wheel, but couldn't use the shitty old wheel. So I purchase a TMX pro and got started mounting

Kids stool for testing heights of the seat for wheel position. Sick
PSX_20220111_201516.jpg

PSX_20220111_201530.jpg

PSX_20220111_201546.jpg

Next was the monitor position.
PSX_20220111_201600.jpg

PSX_20220111_201615.jpg

Cut to size and mounted no additional pics.

Crappy NUC which was more than enough power to play NFS 2. It's alive. At this point I spent plenty night crashing into things cruising round Bayview.
PSX_20220111_203914.jpg

This is the last usable state it was in until I started the pinball machine.
I did upgrade to a more comfy chair ;)
PSX_20220111_202218.jpg

PSX_20220111_202230.jpg

Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I've got a new old pc intel Gen 9 to go in along with a heap more racing games.

My trip to the wreckers also scored an Astra seat with adjustable base.

Sporty enough to go with the theme.
Similar to this
1641894368090.png

I think I'll be heading to bunnings tomorrow for something else and I'll grab more mdf to finish this one off.

Recently installed a handbrake and rewired it up to be able to select axis mode or button mode. The older games only support button handbrake.

PSX_20220111_204857.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Cheers

Last edited:

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
This is cool, resisting the urge to do similar to practice my drifting in the off season. Good thing I don't have space to put one....

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Subscribed!
Pinball machine is close enough to finished. Stash it in a corner under a sheet and get back onto this!

So keen to see the results of this.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
This is cool, resisting the urge to do similar to practice my drifting in the off season. Good thing I don't have space to put one....

Lol seriously just do it. Go down the rabbit hole. There are soo many designs it's ridiculous. You can make it as big or small as you like. It's so much fun

Click wood racing sim.. your welcome :D

Subscribed!
Pinball machine is close enough to finished. Stash it in a corner under a sheet and get back onto this!

So keen to see the results of this.

I need the pinball machine out the way to give me space to work on this. You've had a glimpse of my full garage.

Basically I want to make this a low slim unit. I'll wrap it carbon fibre, maybe with some red stripes

My bunnings trip was unsuccessful getting a sheet of mdf in the size I wanted. Will try again lanother day.

Reactions: Lex

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
So here is the first project I had on the go.

As us Victorians know we've been locked down the most in Oz and were forced to stay home in our 5km radius. So what does this nut do.. build a racing sim :D

This one will be light on pics initally and is currently on hold until I free up some space in the garage.

I started with a shitty old generic brand wheel mount on a small table, playing need for speed 2 underground on the projector.

Super uncomfortable, so started checking out arcade sims. Found a design I liked and got started. Again being the tightass I am I had left over mdf.

First things first I need to ensure it was going to fit in the house, to my wife's dismay.

Built the base then started shaping the sides. I wanted the wheel to be adjustable just like a car sterring wheel, but couldn't use the shitty old wheel. So I purchase a TMX pro and got started mounting

Kids stool for testing heights of the seat for wheel position. Sick
View attachment 231989

View attachment 231990

View attachment 231991

Next was the monitor position.
View attachment 231992

View attachment 231993

Cut to size and mounted no additional pics.

Crappy NUC which was more than enough power to play NFS 2. It's alive. At this point I spent plenty night crashing into things cruising round Bayview.
View attachment 231995

This is the last usable state it was in until I started the pinball machine.
I did upgrade to a more comfy chair ;)
View attachment 231996

View attachment 231997
No seatbelt?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I got a helmet, does that count?