Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Outrageous fuel consumption

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
Hi guys my fuel around town is up to 27.3l/100km I'm shifting gears just under 2000rpm and never chuck it into 5 or 6 unless I'm on the freeway ??? I'll do the occaisinal hit now and again but I don't drive outrageous. Car has a catback and it has a walkinshaw pod intake. 2011 ssv redline ute manual. I'm due for extractors and cats install in 2 weeks and a tune... Maybe this will fix my problem?? Or maybe my trip meter is faulty??? Ideas guys??? I'll put in $30 dollars of 98 at $1.58 do a total trip of around 80kms in stop start traffic around town and then it shows low fuel again. Cheers Brad.

smidey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS WM 6L
just wait until fuel is around $2.20/L like it is here in NZ, that'll make your eyes water filling up.

Sounds like there is an issue, dumping lots of fuel so maybe a sensor needs replacing.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Brim the tank. Write down odometer reading. Brim the tank two weeks later, and check exactly what you put into it. Check odometer reading. Do your maths, and that will give you what you are using.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Sounds like there is an issue, dumping lots of fuel so maybe a sensor needs replacing.

Brim the tank. Write down odometer reading. Brim the tank two weeks later, and check exactly what you put into it. Check odometer reading. Do your maths, and that will give you what you are using.

If you read Bradizle othe thread "my diff just exploded all over the road" you would be ruling either of these ideas out.

Wait until the tune is done after 500kms or so fill the tank up and let us know how many km's per tank. I'd say around 380km for stop start city traffic is normal

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
I've never found factory trip-computers to be reliable.
I'd suggest that you do as Gossie suggests. When you've got the real numbers, you'll know how serious the problem is.

I use a free App on my phone, called "Fuel Log" - I just put the data in, and it does the sums.

My 2010 3.0 litre, with 6-speed auto, SIDI sedan is as bad as 14.25 L/100km around town,
but on the highway, with cruise control on 110 km/h, I get 8.8.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
In reference to the first post I say *stupid*. Really?.......

Last edited:

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
In reference to the first post I say *stupid*. Really?.......

Can't see either 3.0 or 3.6 SIDI for EFILive on tune depot, would think there's a lot to gain with cam phasing, e85 and relatively high comp. Seen any Camaro V6 .tun files stock or modded available?