Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating issue

Johnsvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz exec
My car is leaking a decent amount of coolant but can't seem to trace the location of the leak checked all hoses but no leaks... It seems to be dripping from the sump area of the bottom of my car if that helps. Any suggestions of were the leak maybe would be much appreciated. Cheers

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Is it overheating and leaking coolant or just leaking coolant only?

May be leaking from the water pump.
You may need to remove the belt and and possibly pump pulley to be sure.

Could also be coolant filler cap.

Last edited:

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
When coolant dries it leaves a mark, look for coolant lines around your engine.

Johnsvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz exec
Thanks guys will have a look when I get home. And it wasn't overheating untill it lost all of the coolant.... Stayed at 1/4 way on the temp gauge

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
water pumps go on the alloytecs all the time, you'll see a drip down the front of yout engine where the pump is.

Happened to mine, similar symptoms

Johnsvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz exec
Cool thanks guys anybody know a rough cost for how much it is to replace a water pump (Inc. Labor)

Gus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Acclaim
Yeah this was happening to me but it was due to a busted radiator cap. Got my mechanic to order me in a new one and it seems to be running fine.

05_VZ_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I'm having a similar issue where the coolant is leaking from just behind the left front wheel close to the water bottle.The car has gone in to the dealers and they say the radiator is busted.They want AU$1300 to replace it.I have changed the thermostat and the radiator cap already.The funny thing is it only leaks after the car has been driven and you leave it to stand for awhile.Whats annoying is that it started doing this after the last service at the dealers but they dont want to accept responsibility.Any ideas what it could be?

exastra

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec 2004
Hi guys, I have had both issues - Water leaking onto the top of the sump and a leak just behind the left front wheel close to the water bottle. The water on the top of the sump turned out to be a shot water pump which is very common. This cost $75.00 from a local parts shop and took me about an hour to change and was really easy to change out. I have the instructions somewhere, if you need them I can post them.

After changing the water pump I flushed the cooling system and refilled with Nulon red coolant, then had a leak just behind the left front wheel close to the water bottle. I couldn't work out where it was comming from, just dripping off the bottom left side of the radiator and onto the plastic deflector that is attached the the bottom of the front cross member. It was really annoying me as every time I would check the water level from the cap on the engine it was always low. Apparently when the system has a leak the water doesn't get sucked back in from the overflow bottle, but can suck air from where the leak is instead. This was happening to mine as the overflow bottle was always full.

There was also a minor leak above the water pump on the pipe that comes off the engine where the cap is. There is an o-ring on the pipe that can leak.

I was ready to change the radiator and fix the o-ring. There are VZ radiators on e-bay for $102 - 2 year warranty.

NEW Holden VZ Commodore Alloytec V6 Aluminium Radiator (eBay item 230573527860 end time 13-May-11 20:13:43 AEST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

I ended up just putting some Bars Leak in though and this fixed the problems (it won't fix a shot water pump). I have been driving it for about 5 months now with no sign of any more water leaks (only a little bit of white powerdy residue where the coolant has dried where it had been leaking and then stopped). Apparently Holden use some kind of pellets that can take up any minor leaks in the cooling system (this is what bars leak does too as it has pellets in it as well). I'd say that when I flushed the system I flushed away anything that was previously preventing minor leaks. 05_vz_ss, the last service at the dealers did they flush the radiator, perhaps this is the same thing that happened to mine?

Anyways, this has been my experience that may help you guys. It doesn't need to cost an arm and a leg to fix these kind of problems.

Good Luck!