Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P Platers and High Performance cars.....

P Platers

• Allowed High Perfomance Cars

Votes: 266 47.7%
  • Not Allowed High Performance Cars

Votes: 223 40.0%
  • Allowed them, but not allowed to drive/licence them

Votes: 50 9.0%
  • Im not a P plater, nor do I Care

Votes: 51 9.1%

• Total voters

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
I am going to disagree with most of you lot and share my perspective. I am not or p platter or a hoon and do not support unsafe driving.

Any car can go sideways into a pole at 60km a hour regardless if it is a high power car or a low power car so imagine the following situation.

A young guy just gets his P's and wants to drive fast and hoon around like many young guys do. He want to buy a Skyline and because of the restrictions he can't so instead he goes and buys a Manga.

He mods the Magna, hoons around and one day looses control and and goes sideways into a tree. He was doing something stupid in a car that was was not designed for unsafe driving.

The point. Sports cars are not just cars with high power engines. They are designed with the notion that they will be driven in a unsafe manner on a regular basis. They have much better brakes, fatter tyres, better handling and a assortment of other safety features like 4 wheel steering and AWD which are not usually found in other vehicles.

I guy that plans on driving like a hoon will do so in any car regardless if it is a Magna or a Skyline. The difference is if he does so in the Magna he has a higher change of killling himself and other road users than the Skylike. Just my 2 cents.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
^ this.. A Suzuki swift can hit 130kmh.. In any car leaving the road over even 60kmh can be devastating. (it can also be fatal at much lower speeds. Depends on the roadside environment)
Yeah of course some P platers are idiots.. That's the same generalisation like saying 'All Americans are fat'..
Driving safely will always be a maturity thing. Some 18 year olds are more mature then some 35 year olds behind the wheel.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
I agree in a way, when I was doing mobile security polls I got the POS 2010 model Toyota Yaris up to 170km flat out as fast as it would go on the way to Dungog.

Now tell me what's more dangerous, a Yaris doing 170kms or a sports car going 170kmh?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I agree in a way, when I was doing mobile security polls I got the POS 2010 model Toyota Yaris up to 170km flat out as fast as it would go on the way to Dungog.

Now tell me what's more dangerous, a Yaris doing 170kms or a sports car going 170kmh?

both because if you hit a brick wall. lightpole. kangaroo. wombat. someone else travelling 100kph the other way, its pretty much game over from the momentum and impact.
these roads arent designed for 170kph anyway. if they were designed for that speed then they would both be safe.

just put up with it.

in the newspaper the other day it actually showed all the statisitics that mattered, and there had been a 25% less death rate since these p plate laws.
if that doesnt say "it has actually worked" i dont know what will.
although it still showed soo many young people using their phones while driving and getting distracted with ipods and music and so forth. what for!
is it that desperate you cannot wait til you get to your destination to read a message? cannot pull over at the next stop?
in other words young drivers are highly distracted. and get easily coaxed into peer pressure acts

in the end yes from a young car enthusiasts point of view, they suck.
but you have 3-4 years to learn how other morons drive on the road.
3-4 years to learn how a car can handle and react.
and 3-4 years to mature before being unleashed behind a potential powerhouse that if you were younger you might not think straight about what it can ptoentially do.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Absolutely, all I'm trying to say is if a young p plater wants to go fast, he will no matter what car he is restricted to driving.

Again that's why I think all p players should be forced to take defensive drivers courses before they go for there opens.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
some idiots just dont get it and probably never will....or maybe they will when its too late!
myself and a few mates had these cars when we were on our p's before the day of restrictions(97-98).... a vk 202, sigma wagon, TE gemini and a vs spac...... guess which car was written off first??? my mate with the vs spac! we could all do 160km down the hway, burnouts and linelocks without any drama - 2 cars were 6's and 2 were 4's.
so it just goes to show no matter what u drive speed kills and the more balls your car has the more u will tend to push it! so to eliminate the fatalities and acco's you have to eliminate the cause! ie idiots who dont know how to drive or control a car.
another example is a mate of mines son and friend all have 6banga commos, falcon sedan/ute, skylines and impreza's and guess what? they have all been crashed/written off at some stage due to the fact that they cant drive or handle their cars at the invincible age of 18/19

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Absolutely, all I'm trying to say is if a young p plater wants to go fast, he will no matter what car he is restricted to driving.

Again that's why I think all p players should be forced to take defensive drivers courses before they go for there opens.

defence courses will only make it worse because theyl push the boundaries even more and show off on how good they can drive after theyve somewhat learnt some skills.....it all comes down to common sense and maturity....sadly 90% of teens dont have any of the 2.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
In the end, it doesnt matter what car you are driving when you hit the wall at 100kmh. Yes, the Yaris and the Maloo can both do 100kmh easily.

The difference here is how easy it is to lose control. How many videos of V8s are on youtube getting destroyed whilst attempting to do a burnout, losing control and into a tree, wall or other car. How many videos of Yaris doing the same thing?

You can probably get a Yaris to smoke it up, I personally would be too embarrassed to try lol.. but it isnt going to get grip for half a second at the wrong time and bite you back. The V8 can and eventually will. You will be wanting some experience when that happens.

'I was driving for years before I was 16 on country roads ( or the farm or whatever )" may also be useful to you in terms of some experience. It still doesnt give you the myriad of distractions and hazards that occur in everyday driving, and hence the experience to deal with them.

I accept that boys will be boys, I hope to always remain one :) However, you can get yourself in trouble a lot easier with a powerful car than you can with a less powerful car. Of course if you are determined enough you can kill yourself in a Yaris, but the odds of that happening are vastly reduced compared to the Maloo.

The statistics have proved that license restrictions save lives.

Its an argument that will never end, because 18 year olds know it all, and more mature people know better.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
In the end, it doesnt matter what car you are driving when you hit the wall at 100kmh. Yes, the Yaris and the Maloo can both do 100kmh easily.

The difference here is how easy it is to lose control. How many videos of V8s are on youtube getting destroyed whilst attempting to do a burnout, losing control and into a tree, wall or other car. How many videos of Yaris doing the same thing?

You can probably get a Yaris to smoke it up, I personally would be too embarrassed to try lol.. but it isnt going to get grip for half a second at the wrong time and bite you back. The V8 can and eventually will. You will be wanting some experience when that happens.

'I was driving for years before I was 16 on country roads ( or the farm or whatever )" may also be useful to you in terms of some experience. It still doesnt give you the myriad of distractions and hazards that occur in everyday driving, and hence the experience to deal with them.

I accept that boys will be boys, I hope to always remain one :) However, you can get yourself in trouble a lot easier with a powerful car than you can with a less powerful car. Of course if you are determined enough you can kill yourself in a Yaris, but the odds of that happening are vastly reduced compared to the Maloo.

The statistics have proved that license restrictions save lives.

Its an argument that will never end, because 18 year olds know it all, and more mature people know better.

Well said, pretty much sums it up really.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Does anyone else hate watching ACA or 60 Minutes and listening to all the kids saying things like 'We only do this on the street because the government doesn't provide us anywhere else to do it'.. I call bullshit on that statement.. I've been to Test n Tunes more times then I can count.. I've done the V8 supercar experience 4 times.. Each time I leave the track I'm not 'Calmed down and glad to have the need to burn rubber out of my system'.. Adrenalin is pumping and I want to keep going!!