Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PCM help/ mail order tune

DonnySS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute S2
Hey guys, I have tried searching on this topic and couldn't find a great deal of information so I thought I would just ask.

Where is the PCM located on a VY series 2 SS and is it difficult to remove? And are there any important steps i should take to not damage it?

I am thinking of getting a mail order tune from oztrack I have heard some good things and just wanted to suss it out before I go ahead and spend money. Thanks in advance for any helpful replies :)

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
It's located in the engine bay (Passenger side) unless some one has moved it to another location. Not to hard to swap out if you can diy a bit and your last question il just say search a bit more and you will get like 1000's post on the subject.

MRNICK

LS1 LOVE
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenowners.com
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
As above.
The PCM is located underneath the Coolant Expansion bottle in a plastic housing beside a heat shield (which protects it from the exhaust heat).
As far as mail order tunes go, they're hit and miss. Whilst it is more expensive - a dyno tune is the best way to go. It will also allow the tuner to touch up the tune to suit your application.
Mail order is a bit blind and can (sometimes) lead to mishaps...

VBhero

Reaction score
Website
www.australia4wd.com
Members Ride
VXII SS A4
I thought mail order tunes were done via an Auto Cal, thus no need to remove the PCM?

As for your choice of tuner... well, make sure you search thoroughly before going ahead.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
I thought mail order tunes were done via an Auto Cal, thus no need to remove the PCM?
Some are and some are on a exchange basis unless you buy a PCM with a tune included.

bowsaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs series 1
I got a 300kw mail order from Vengeance, 280 i think, with OTRCAI and ectractors cats etc, be getting near it. Now a dyno soon to fine tune. Get 9.8/100kms on hway and 11.5ish around city.