Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performance Inlet Manifolds - HOLDEN V8 304

Discussion in 'V8 Development and Modification' started by RVN 355, Aug 11, 2006.

1. RVN 355

RVN 355 New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN SS 355
    Hi guys as you all may know i am rebuilding my Vn ss.

What do you suggest are the better performance Inlets for the GMH 304ci

HARROP

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HARROP-SINGL...yZ102360QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

STARR

The original 65mm throttle body and intake design only flows 580CFM.

The Starr manifold and throttle body conversion transforms power and torque of the EFI Holden V8 (VN – VT1), fits under the bonnet, looks standard and flows 1200CFM. It is the perfect replacement manifold for anybody looking to achieve a simple gain over standard, or for the enthusiast who is building a 400HP stroker. no other manifold offers the same performance gain for the price.

15kw @ flywheel is achievable by bolting onto a stock 5.0L. However, up to 40kw @ flywheel is achievable on a big cammed stroker. We recommend that the manifold be used with our custom cold air box and a reprogrammed chip.

http://starrperformance.com.au/Text/1120525348453-5767/pC/1119935321390-1333/Products

$1,450 (exchange)

WALKER

TORQUE POWER

DUAL THROTTLE BODY:1500 RPM 6500-RPM Torque-with plenty of top end power,Port machining is not as important as is required on the other brands of intake manifolds,Manifold to suit EFI V8 Holden cylinder head only

Split port level EXIT Design

The eight Intake Runner's Flow within 2 - 3 CFM of each other

Bosse's for EFI injector's or Nitrous Oxide nozzles if required

Over all height of manifold at front is 5 1/8

Part #003: EFi Model $899.00

www.torquepower.com.au

OTHER[/COLOR][/B]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  2. hot308vb

hot308vb Member

Members Ride:
    Vs clubby project car & crappy vs v6 ute daily
    yeah mate these manifolds are the shit! and will suit your planned motor pretty well.
    just remember that if you buy that manifold you'll have to factor in the cost to machine injector holes.

3. RVN 355

RVN 355 New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN SS 355
    Machine Injector holes whats involved with this,costly ?

4. hot308vb

hot308vb Member

Members Ride:
    Vs clubby project car & crappy vs v6 ute daily
    if you check out the pic you can see the manifold doesnt have any holes for the injectors so they'll need to be drilled to suit.
    sorry i cant tell you how much it'll cost to do but it may be easier to buy it straight from harrop themselves with the holes already drilled.
    cheers

5. AirStrike

AirStrike Administrator

Members Ride:
    2009 G6ET
    See how it goes. They are around $850 new from Harrop or $1000 to suit EFI.
    I wouldnt bother with a Starr really, either this for the old school look or a COME/Active/MACE, etc.
    AirStrike :air:

6. 253@7k

253@7k 300rwhp supra. yay.

Members Ride:
    TT Supra/HZ Ute.
    There is one for sale over here in WA for $650. Dont think bosses have been drilled out for injectors though.

7. immortality

immortality Donating Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    shouldn't cost to much to drill 8 holes for the injectors but you gotta remember that you will also need a fuel rail and a 4 barrel throttle body as this manifold was designed to convert the Holden 304 V8 to a carby setup

8. greenfoam

greenfoam New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive R-spec
    They cost $1150 with the injectors done. Pity you can't buy a really good X type manifold for the Holden V8 with VN heads, can you? The Harrop looks OK but it's not perfect

9. immortality

immortality Donating Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    What you mean by "X" type. looks pretty good for a single plane manifold, along the lines of the victor jr. intake etc they use them overhere on the NZ V8 touring cars as a control item along with the cam/heads etc and they make over 400hp no probs at all, also limited to a 4 speed box, doesn't that suck

edit: i might eat my own words on that, why not have a look through some of the back issues of street machine, about 12 months ago they did an article on a place that was using the standard banana type manifold but cuttingthe top off and making an plenum like the VN GRP A manifold but with 2 standard V8 throttle bodies on the front of it, seemed to run allright on the test car, using an upgraded crane cam which is the replacement for the VN GRP A cam with bigger injectors making around 300kw from memory, it's an exchange deal, you send them your old manifold etc. don't remember the price but around $1200 rings a bell, it uses the original fuel rail, modified, all the original holden sensors etc or go megga and get the Grp A manifold it's good for over 1000hp in turbo application

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  10. RVK 355

RVK 355 M0DERAT0R

Members Ride:
    The real R series 355
    What is the specs of the motor that the manifold is goin to go onto??

11. RVN 355

RVN 355 New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN SS 355
    Holden V8 304 5 LITRE 1991 VN SS,284 Crane Cam,Anti Pump Lifters,Crane Valve Springs,Crane Valve Locks,Roller Rockers ,3.7.3 Rebuilt Diff incl Crown Wheel & Pinon 3.9.1 Gears,Super 4 Bosch Plugs,500hp MSD Ignition Fuel Pump,Surge Tank,8.8mm Spiral Wire Top Gun Leads,Shift Kit,HSV Headers,Single 2.5" Exhaust, CAI + K & N,HSV 185i ECU

Head Work,Haltech Engine Mangement,harrop Inlet,3000 High Stall,Power Bond Balancer,Roller Rockers Next on the list

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  12. RVK 355

RVK 355 M0DERAT0R

Members Ride:
    The real R series 355
    if your only goin with the crane 284 and standard stroke, go with a DP manifold rather then a SP

13. RVN 355

RVN 355 New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN SS 355
    Why is that mate? any thing else you recommend for the 5 Litre,something not to over the top just nice subtle and decent times down the 1/4 and power on the dyno.

What would you suggest to do 1st along with the installation of the cam--- list of 2 do is in previous post by me. :)

14. greenfoam

greenfoam New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive R-spec
    I agree Subdue, I did my research about this a while ago, the torque power dual plane or the new super fancy torque power high rise dual plane is where its at! :)

15. RVK 355

RVK 355 M0DERAT0R

Members Ride:
    The real R series 355
    Reason being is the single plain is more suited for motor with mid to top end performaces more of a power band range of 3500rpm+, dual plain is more suited for motors with bottom end to mid end performace

16. sir355

sir355 Father Figure

Members Ride:
    VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
    In regards with cost of manifold and drilling etc. I have just bought a harrop manifold, it cost $700 new plus $180 for machining and drilling of holes. I got mine from Kwinana performance in W.A. I'm running a Holley 1000cfm tb. The holley is a bit more expensive than some others but the come with everything you need. I'm from adelaide and Sawka performance is the best place to get your bits, He's located on Main North road.. He's doing a motor for my Cousin and he reckons the Harrop is outdated. He has a point, They are 15 years old. Speak to him and he will put you in the right direction.
    My set up is in a Vr 215 senator running interal engine mods and head work. 286 cam etc

17. Dan355

Dan355 Go THE SS's

Members Ride:
    Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
    Yea thats why im eventually going to use the come manifold you get the lot bolt straight on. Just need to modify the fuel rails which is piss easy. Good luck with it mate.

18. xcop5l

xcop5l 4th year spanner spinner

Members Ride:
    VN ex cop 5L
    if you get a high top manifold it will have a tunnel ram efect and it will help with finding those wanted kw's

19. sir355

sir355 Father Figure

Members Ride:
    VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
    And isn't that what we are all after. Cheap kw. I'm putting a 2 inch spacer on my harrop. Kwinana performance have seens gains around 20hp at the treads for a $100 outlay

20. RVN 355

RVN 355 New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN SS 355
    WHAT is ur mods mate to ur VR. what the deal with the spacer