Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Planning A System On A Budget

Discussion in 'Car Audio' started by holdenboy, Dec 8, 2008.

1. jjFarking

jjFarking New Member

Members Ride:
    VT II Phantom
    Well, outside of a few spelling errors, you may want to reconsider quoting actual prices, especially since these tend to change fairly rapidly, making your great write-up looking out-of-date fairly quickly, which would be a pity of your efforts.
    Leaving out the quoted RRPs will go some way towards adding some room for fairly pertinent info that may be missing ;)
    Just the specs on the actual hardware is really all that's needed (by all means leave the links to them in place), as people should be encouraged to shop around for the best price for the items you have suggested, if you catch my drift :p
    Cool stuff regardless mate :thumbsup:

2. bezz

bezz New Member

Members Ride:
    VK
    why is this not sticky yet?

bump

3. holdenboy

holdenboy Custom Car Stereo Systems

Members Ride:
    VR Wagon
    Yay...sticky now ;)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  4. VY.abercrombie

VY.abercrombie New Member

Members Ride:
    VY S soon to be SS
    holdenboy, where u from mate ?

5. holdenboy

Members Ride:
    VR Wagon
    Hunter Valley, NSW....about 1 hour north of Newcastle......why?

6. n-n-nick

n-n-nick New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Calais
    hey man thanks for the refferal to this.
    definitely feeling a lot more confident about audio systems now.

ta,nick

7. holdenboy

Members Ride:
    VR Wagon
    No problems mate....thats what its there for ;)

8. Justin220

Justin220 Banned

Members Ride:
    VY 5.7 M6
    They're really helpful, thanks!

9. =bullet40=

=bullet40= New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Executive BT-1
    always remember to put some money aside for some form of panel deadener!...my system sounds 10x more crisp and punchy with only my doors dynamatted...it allows full potential of the speakers to be reached in my opinion...i mean people will have diffrnt views on it but i think it is deffinatly worth the extra money...u can get a bulk kit of high quality deadener for around 300ish if u look around...and thats enuff for most of your car

10. spencer551

spencer551 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive Wagon
    hey mate, what sort of places give u this kind of gear at 'street prices' and what places should i avoid

11. Philthy

Philthy That dent guy

Members Ride:
    3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
    Good write up holdenboy.

And for everyone reading it, don't forget that the products he has listed are examples only. Always shop around for bargains and find the best gear to suit your needs

12. VZ-Rob

VZ-Rob New Member

Members Ride:
    VZS-Ute06
    :thumbsup:
    I just used the Vinyl floor covering stuff $35.00 worth
    did both doors twice over
    and yes well worth the hassle putting it on the inner skin

13. Nofan

Nofan red cars go faster.

Members Ride:
    Vy Executive S2
    i just came up with a $700 build based off that $1000 one, except fully fusion.

Fusion CA-IP500 iPod Dock Car Tuner ($260)
    Fusion EN-CM650 6.5" Split Speakerss($95)
    Fusion EN-AM30020 2 Ch Car Amplifier ($127)
    Fusion EN-AB1120 Active 12" Sub Enclosure ($215)

=$700

Not sure about all the electronic, will that work?

14. Fun_Bucket

Fun_Bucket New Member

Members Ride:
    Cruze II sri
    Sure it will work, but will you be happy with it once it's all purchased and installed? (remember instalation cost's too, if your not going to be doing it yourself..)
    I say this because, I always reccomend to people, that if they are on a tight budget, to maybe try and focus on one section at a time, rather than trying to build a complete system within a set budget. Because if you do feel that you may become unhappy with it in the near future, and you choose to upgrade some, or even all of your components, then it's a lot of money thrown away, that could of went towards purchasing something that you would have been happier with, and kept, the first time around.

You really do get what you pay for when it comes to car audio, that being said though, if you choose to look past all the brand names when selecting your gear, it's still possible to achieve good sound, whilst sticking to the budget. For example, take your selection of front splits, add say another $50, and a set of Jaycar's range of splits becomes availbale.While Jaycar might not have the have "mainstream" brand appeal of what Fusion does, i guarantee you for both quality and sound within that price range, they will have them beat. That's just one example of spending just a small amount more, on a product that carries less of a brand name, yet still perfoms.A couple of other examples would be SPL Dynamics, and Digital Designs, both making really good entry level speakers.Personally i hate reccomending brands to people, as everyone has different opinions on the topic, but i'm just trying to give you an example, of how you can better spend your money...

Nofan, if you have a bit of a read through this thread that HoldenBoy has written up, you'll notice several times, how he has tried to explain that your front speakers, are going to the most important part of your entire build up. In the setup that you've listed, you've actually chosen to spend the least amount in this area...And i can't stress this enough, do take your time with it, and do as much research as you can. Know the gear your buying. Know what you want out of a build up, and know what's needed to achieve it.

BTW HoldenBoy, i didn't mean for my first paragraph to sound like it was dissagreaing with the entire thread topic of "planning a system on a budget" by reccomending that he do it bit by bit;)Like the thread say's planning on a budget, if your plans, or what you would really like, exceed your current budget, then don't buy things just for sake of buying them.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  15. holdenboy

Members Ride:
    VR Wagon
    No problems VP, i will probably go back through it one day and add an option of "planning a system step by step" section too, as i totally agree with your suggestions.

16. VY.abercrombie

VY.abercrombie New Member

Members Ride:
    VY S soon to be SS
    planning a system step by step sounds good to me :)

17. Longy188

Longy188 New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SV6
    step by step for sure, as you have said buy the right stuff the first time, i learned that in my first car ended up replacing the fronts and the h/u and adding an amp best decision i ever made.
    wicked thread holdenboy will help me out heaps when planning the system for my VZ SV6
    cheers

18. holdenboy

Members Ride:
    VR Wagon
    Good to hear, im just abit lost on how i should do this "step by step" addition.....i mean the whole point of the thread is to plan / buy a system on a budget, also basically knowing what youre looking for when you go into a store. Any suggestions are appreciated as always ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  19. Fun_Bucket

Fun_Bucket New Member

Members Ride:
    Cruze II sri
    I don't think their is really a need for a "step by step" guide, because i think it's pretty self expanitaory. The idea of the thread, was to give people an idea, on the type of setup they could achieve within a set budget. For new people to get some idea's, on about how they should spend their money, and what to expect.

Obviously, if what you really want is a flip out, touch screen, DVD player, then there's no real point in spending a few hundred dollars buying and installing a head unit for the mean time, and then replacing it when you have enough money..Same goes with the remaining components.I'm one of those people who learnt the hard way, and threw away so much money, if only i had saved it, done some research, and took my time......

20. holdenboy

Members Ride:
    VR Wagon
    Yeah VP i sorta gave up on the step by step idea.....after thinking more abut it theres no real point. If you wanna do it step by step then look at the $2000 system and buy the components one at a time ;)