Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

anthonyclemsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 201q
My 2011 ve sv6 is driving fine then every so often the engine light starts blinking wildly, dash instruments go haywire, power is lost cutting in and out. I pull over turn the car off, wait a bit and it starts up fine. Then drives fine for a bit and does it again. I lip it home leave it for the night and it drives me to work fine the next day. Then it happens again. Please let me know what is happening and how it can get this fixed. Please

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
get it scanned for fault codes and then post back
most auto parts stores will scan for cheap

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Battery and or alternator is buggered.

Get the battery load tested and the charge circuit checked. There is a gadget that does that and cost $40. Topdon makes a great one. Owning a VE, it should be a necessary bit of kit.
Get highest CCA you can. Often recommended battery for your model is well with under gunned.

dippa24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
My 2011 ve sv6 is driving fine then every so often the engine light starts blinking wildly, dash instruments go haywire, power is lost cutting in and out. I pull over turn the car off, wait a bit and it starts up fine. Then drives fine for a bit and does it again. I lip it home leave it for the night and it drives me to work fine the next day. Then it happens again. Please let me know what is happening and how it can get this fixed. Please
Same thing is happing to my VE commodore 2011 and I have had the battery replaced, brand new alternator, brand new key, had it code checked and a auto electrician went over it and said there does not seem to be any faults and after doing all that it is still cutting out, dashboard goes crazy, engine light coming on, I stop, take the key out, open the door and close it again and it’s ready to start again, I can’t understand or any mechanics can’t understand what the issue is so I’m going to follow this thread and hope we can get answers.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Same thing is happing to my VE commodore 2011 and I have had the battery replaced, brand new alternator, brand new key, had it code checked and a auto electrician went over it and said there does not seem to be any faults and after doing all that it is still cutting out, dashboard goes crazy, engine light coming on, I stop, take the key out, open the door and close it again and it’s ready to start again, I can’t understand or any mechanics can’t understand what the issue is so I’m going to follow this thread and hope we can get answers.
There hasn't been any action on the thread since April last year. So, you probably won't hear anything.

Best to open your own thread & explain what is happening, & other people will add to the thread. Hopefully you will get your answers?

Dazzy74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore
Is it possible a fuel related issue? May be a blocked or slightly clogged fuel filter not sending enough fuel and causing it to cut out intermittently. This can make the dash lights go haywire.
Is it also well earthed ?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Is it possible a fuel related issue? May be a blocked or slightly clogged fuel filter not sending enough fuel and causing it to cut out intermittently. This can make the dash lights go haywire.
Is it also well earthed ?
It’s possible it’s every single thing on the car and without scopes, skills, and bidirectional scan tools, you are throwing darts at a dartboard in a dark room hoping for a result.

You’ll swap the whole car with new parts potentially and what if it’s a wiring fault? All that time and money down the drain

Dazzy74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore
It’s only a suggestion that it may be a fuel related issue. It’s something I’d definitely explore if I was having these issues and won’t cost money to check fuel pressure or cheaply replace a fuel filter.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It’s only a suggestion that it may be a fuel related issue. It’s something I’d definitely explore if I was having these issues and won’t cost money to check fuel pressure or cheaply replace a fuel filter.
Have fun changing the fuel filter.