Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Pod Filters - Roadworthy Question

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey guys,

Just need to clear this up, but I was under the impression that pod filters made your car unroadworthy (or you could get a defect), unless it was secured properly and in an enclosure. Is this the case or can you have a pod filter just sitting in the engine bay sucking in all the hot air?

Reason I ask is because people are telling me that pod filters are not defectable in any way, shape or form.

Thanks.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
maybe ring up the local police station and ask. they "should" know.

or contact vicroads by going in in person
dont bother ringing/emailing vicroads as they wont get back to you.

otherwise i have no idea.
although these thoughts: if its secured and enclosed its the same as a regular filter right? which would be fine?

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
maybe ring up the local police station and ask. they "should" know.

or contact vicroads by going in in person
dont bother ringing/emailing vicroads as they wont get back to you.

otherwise i have no idea.
although these thoughts: if its secured and enclosed its the same as a regular filter right? which would be fine?

Yeah thats what I thought, like I have a MACE Cold Air Intake on my VS which uses a pod filter in an enclosure, so it should be the same setup as a stock air filter. Well thats what I thought anyway.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Why would you want to suck in hot air? :bang:

I wouldn't want that, it would be defeating the purpose and would cause you to lose power.

I'm just saying that people reckon that you can just have it sitting in the engine bay like that, I would never do it.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
I was unde rthe impressiont hat its deemed a fire hazard if it isnt enclosed

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
In NSW, they are illegal if not contained in a box. I can't find evidence from the RTA at present, but I'm sure you can't have them, as stated it's a dumb idea anyway. They just suck hot air into a hot engine, thus defeating their purpose. I've got mates who drive 'hectic as' Lancers and so forth who just leave them hanging in the engine bay.

This is reason enough not to do it.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
In NSW, they are illegal if not contained in a box. I can't find evidence from the RTA at present, but I'm sure you can't have them, as stated it's a dumb idea anyway. They just suck hot air into a hot engine, thus defeating their purpose. I've got mates who drive 'hectic as' Lancers and so forth who just leave them hanging in the engine bay.

This is reason enough not to do it.

Oh boy hot air theory again.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Don't be a dick and have it put in such a way that it doesn't suck hot air, whodda thunk??

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Hey guys,

Just need to clear this up, but I was under the impression that pod filters made your car unroadworthy (or you could get a defect), unless it was secured properly and in an enclosure. Is this the case or can you have a pod filter just sitting in the engine bay sucking in all the hot air?

Reason I ask is because people are telling me that pod filters are not defectable in any way, shape or form.

Thanks.

Hold on, don't you work in a place that does roadworties? Might be best to just read the appropriate paperwork/books?