Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Pod Filters - Roadworthy Question

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
When I think of how many older cars had aircleaners with intakes on top of the engine.. hot air rises, the top of the engine close to the bonnet cant be a good source of cold air?

Cold air may be helpful but I have major doubts as to the actual amount of benefit. The first thing I see in 'how to increase my V6s power' questions is add a CAI. I have to say thats not on the top of my list.

This brings to mind another quote regarding the famous two hole mod.. cant remember whose sig it was but words to the effect 'GM- has millions of dollars spent each year on R&D. Some guy in his back yard has a hole saw. Discuss.' What you get with a two hole mod is more induction noise, not more power. Sounds good though I guess.

I dont know about modern laws, its still legal to drive a 59' Beetle with no seatbelts, but my (E49 265ci straight 6 NA Hemi) Centura has 3 pod filters, one directly clamped to each of its 3 carbies, and it was running 10sec 1/4 miles last time it was running, and they were totally legal... and sucking a lot of hot air.

Times have changed though, I dont actually have the answer but it seems likely that pods need to be in a box these days..

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
The whole pod filter sucking in hot air is a bit bs. I mean your inlet manifold etc are just as hot so you get radiated heat anyway.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Oh boy hot air theory again.

What do you mean by "theory", if the temperature of air doesn't matter why do turbo and supercharged cars use intercoolers?

Simple, cool the air down to help reduce combustion temps and make the air denser which will allow the engine to advance the timing further, inject more fuel and then create more power. Works with N/A cars too but to a much lesser degree, why do people have problems with detonation in summer and not winter? Because the Airs hotter and less dense creating a higher combustion temp which brings on detonation.

Take any car for a run on a cool night and you find it will run nicer, not necessarily have more power but it will feel smoother and more responsive because its sucking in that nice cool dense air rich with O2.

In traffic is when you get issues with heatsoak, no matter how good of intake theres not much you can do stuck at 30km/h with no airflow.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
What do you mean by "theory", if the temperature of air doesn't matter why do turbo and supercharged cars use intercoolers?

Simple, cool the air down to help reduce combustion temps and make the air denser which will allow the engine to advance the timing further, inject more fuel and then create more power. Works with N/A cars too but to a much lesser degree, why do people have problems with detonation in summer and not winter? Because the Airs hotter and less dense creating a higher combustion temp which brings on detonation.

Take any car for a run on a cool night and you find it will run nicer, not necessarily have more power but it will feel smoother and more responsive because its sucking in that nice cool dense air rich with O2.

In traffic is when you get issues with heatsoak, no matter how good of intake theres not much you can do stuck at 30km/h with no airflow.

Learn to read. Did I say it doesn't matter? No. I said the theory pod filters suck in nothing but hot air is bs.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
The way you said "hot air theory" made it sound like you thought hot air into an engine doesn't matter.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hold on, don't you work in a place that does roadworties? Might be best to just read the appropriate paperwork/books?

Yes I do, but I wont be going back to work until the 16th of April.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I don't think they would be unroadworthy just because they could suck in hot air. I just thought that they were unroadworthy unless in an enclosure.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I was unde rthe impressiont hat its deemed a fire hazard if it isnt enclosed

Yeah that could be it as well, if it isn't secured then it could end up against the radiator, engine, exhaust manifold, etc.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plus apparently the oil is flammable and in case of a backfire can ignite.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Plus apparently the oil is flammable and in case of a backfire can ignite.

Maybe, but you can buy pod filters that you don't use the oil. Just like a normal air filter.