Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Pod Filters - Roadworthy Question

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Maybe, but you can buy pod filters that you don't use the oil. Just like a normal air filter.

Yeah I know I'm just stating the reason they give for enclosing pod filters.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Pod filters are legal here. Don't have to be enclosed in any way. Don't think I've ever heard of one catching fire! There's plenty of flammable stuff in your car.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Pod filters are legal here. Don't have to be enclosed in any way. Don't think I've ever heard of one catching fire! There's plenty of flammable stuff in your car.

Transport department are a little bit uneducated about cars over here.

StevenOnevia

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exec nissan onevia
1. need to be secured in case of fire
2. needs to be enclosed in case some oil anything lets go in your engine bay and gets onto it
2.1 epa reasons, buy sucking in so much more air your changing your cars air fuel ratio and changing you exhaust gases to the danger zone and our causing the polar ice caps to melt

import owner
been defected enough times to know my way round things

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
In Queensland aswell just has tobe secured.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
In WA we just need to have it secured in the engine bay, not allowed to be loose. Good idea for it to be enclosed though, due to puddles, and heat getting to it easier. (Heat resistant enclosure material is good, and obviously as far from the engine as possible)

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
What do you mean by "theory", if the temperature of air doesn't matter why do turbo and supercharged cars use intercoolers?

Simple, cool the air down to help reduce combustion temps and make the air denser which will allow the engine to advance the timing further, inject more fuel and then create more power. Works with N/A cars too but to a much lesser degree, why do people have problems with detonation in summer and not winter? Because the Airs hotter and less dense creating a higher combustion temp which brings on detonation.

Take any car for a run on a cool night and you find it will run nicer, not necessarily have more power but it will feel smoother and more responsive because its sucking in that nice cool dense air rich with O2.

In traffic is when you get issues with heatsoak, no matter how good of intake theres not much you can do stuck at 30km/h with no airflow.

A turbo running 14lbs will increase the air temp by about 60C. In this situation, an intercooler is certainly a good idea. The few degrees difference in a NA engine from inside the engine bay to the front of the engine bay is unlikely to have much effect in my view. A little, yes, but not a lot.

Situate the pod close to or directly above the exhaust, of course that will increase the problem. Stick it up where a standard air cleaner normally sits, not enclosed in a box so it gets to breathe well, I still fail to see that its going to get a huge power loss compared to a CAI.

It makes me laugh when I see people putting a CAI at the top of their list, before they even think about new plugs and leads etc.

Dont get me wrong, I accept that a CAI can provide some improvement. I just debate whether its actually worth bothering with when there are so many totally neglected basic maintenance things that people pass by before they get a CAI.

redvs2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor charged Vs, VY ss ute, rodeo daily
Cold air intakes do make a big difference. Anything that can reduce your engine intake temps is worth doing. I took the vs for a strap
The other day at 7 am and it was loving the cooler air of the fresh morning. Felt so smooth and responsive. But i do agree that i would ensure that the plugs etc were fresh before spending money modifying intake. Now about the Legality issue. I have been told that in qld it can be out in the open as long as it is secure. I was recently defected for atmos blow off valves but they didnt mention the pod at all.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
The first things you should do when buying a car is,

1. Change the Oil and Oil Filter.
2. Change the Fuel Filter.
3. Change the Air Filter.
4. Change the Spark Plugs and test the resistance of the spark plug leads. If the resistance is high, then replace the spark plug leads as well.
5. Change the Transmission/Gearbox Oil.
6. Change the Diff Oil.
7. Change the Brake Fluid.
8. Change the Coolant.

After all this is done, then you can start with the modifications.

With my Mitsubishi Magna, it had 239,000kms on the odometer, and I wasn't sure when the timing belt was last replaced, so I replaced that as well, and also the other belts as well.