Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pod filters

MACE

Reaction score
When it comes to pod filters it seems that it's about as controversial as asylum seekers in Australia LOL :p

Just to quote from another thread as to what I've written in the past

Good grief Soop, I was waiting for you to pull your Googleoligist crap up again! The scary part is people actually believe what your saying based on your technical spray painting back ground………..

If you actually knew what you were talking about, then assuming ideally pipe flow under a best case (never going to happen), an ecotec on idle with the factory sizes pipe work would have a Reynolds number of close to 4000. To say you the trouble of Googleing the answer from a "credible source" it means that turbulent flow it present on idle!

Given that the inlet track on a EFI car is FAR from ideal when it comes to pipe flow, especially under transient response (sharp on off throttle), with vortex shedding etc, accurately measuring mass air flow is ALWAYS going to be tricky from a control systems perspective.

Fortunately the engineers at Delphi (their maf in these cars), incorporate a honeycomb/vane structure, to insure that the mean velocity of the air traveling through the MAF is uniform across the cross section of the MAF.

If the bullshit you mentioned wasn't a problem in the beginning they could have saved themselves probably millions by now for not including they vane in the MAF in the first place, however it is for the reasons I mentioned

On a specific note in regards to pod filters, to say a properly designed pod ensure doesn't work, is definitely selling very short the engineers at Honda and FPV, as they've been used on the Honda S2000 (Bare in mind that for years (if not still) the most powerful production engine per L) and new coyote supercharged V8's. They definitely haven't been used for looks or especially sound, as they're more difficult to keep quite, which is extremely important when it comes down to complying with Australian Standards, so why use them?

Soop, do you know something that the engineers at Honda and FPV don’t, from your vast Googleing expertise?

10-FPV-Coyote-Engine-3.jpg

In summary pod filters in a half decent box flow more then a factory air box assembly, creating less turbulence along the way.

We can seen as being biased which is COMPLETELY understandable, however people can do the testing themselves. All they need is a coke bottle, clear tube and water, fancy flow benches are not needed for comparative testing as shown in the link below

Modded Factory Air Box Testing

Food for though.

Cheers,
Steve

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
jeee justcommodores is going down hill, no wonder I and many other members dont come on here much anymore.

ANOTHER thread about pod filters? come off it, they do nothing. Go spend that 50 on the girl in the red light district.. much better off.

And steve dont take this the wrong way, you guys achieved 3rwkw with your enclosed setup? you would barely feel that on the road.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
i can tell you a pod filter will do nothing VS an OTR lol.

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
obviously, there two totatlly different things!! On an ecotec an OTR would not gain anything.

on an ls1 yes due to the throttle body location.... jee this forum gets better by the minute.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
the OP asked on an LS1. Not an ecotec.

MACE

Reaction score
jeee justcommodores is going down hill, no wonder I and many other members dont come on here much anymore.

ANOTHER thread about pod filters? come off it, they do nothing. Go spend that 50 on the girl in the red light district.. much better off.

And steve dont take this the wrong way, you guys achieved 3rwkw with your enclosed setup? you would barely feel that on the road.

No offense taken :)

I'm probably a bit guilty of stirring the pot myself :D These filters are the spawn of the devil you know :rofl2:

In regards to the 3rwkw I mentioned was the difference between the pod enclosure and OTR on a LS1 with the bonnet up. I think the pod enclosure made around 7rwkw while the OTR made around 10rwkw. Never got it tested with the bonnet down, I'm sure the difference would have been closer.

As mentioned previously and as you've mentioned, OTR's on LS1's work well given the position of the throttle body. With top mount blowers on LS1's though, depending on the OTR, it can be a bit of a problem is a sense that the filters that some of them run is too small IMHO

All I've written is basically an extension of what I had written on post #11 of this very same thread based on the Op's question.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...1997-2002/166666-pod-filters.html#post1848841

This thread has digressed a little though :p

Cheers,
Steve

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo