Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power limit for new drivers

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
And thats exactly the one sided attitude that contributes to the stupid laws in the first place, perhaps the government has a place for you?

Most likely they do. The main reasons that there's so many ********s on the road is because it's so cheap to register a car, it's cheap and easy to get licensed, and it's pretty cheap if you get caught being stupid. Driving on the road is a privelage, not a right - so if you charge accordingly the ones who can't afford it use public transport, and the ones who can actually behave themselves.
Hence Double win.

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
Not sure when you did your licence testing, but its not as cheap as you must think...

rego.. 170+ bucks for 3 months isnt cheap...

I have a vl calais and a vt, why should i pay say, double the rego cost, because they are atleast 10 years old?

If morons cant drive why penalize everyone else?

Its double fail in my books

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
Power limits are useless. I'm currently driving a 1984 mitsubishi sigma, with well under 100 kilowatts, and it is still capable of 160km/h+.

The only way to make driving for provisional license holders safer is for them to actually learn how to control a car, not just how many metres from a bus station you can park etc.

But that is too difficult and too expensive, so until that happens, people have to live with the road toll.

aussie_macca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Road trawling paddock bomb = moody VL
Most likely they do. The main reasons that there's so many ********s on the road is because it's so cheap to register a car, it's cheap and easy to get licensed, and it's pretty cheap if you get caught being stupid. Driving on the road is a privelage, not a right - so if you charge accordingly the ones who can't afford it use public transport, and the ones who can actually behave themselves.
Hence Double win.

so farmers that live 100+km away from public transport and dont see the point in spending big bucks on a new car that they are just going to fill with hay and fence posts should be charged a fortune for reg if they dont want to upgrade their old reliable hilux or landcruiser? and what people with money behave themselves do they? tell me right now that you couldnt go on youtube and find 100,000+ videos of people in new porche's doing silly crap, or 94 rx7's with 50k spent on them going nuts on the streets, not to mention the vast number of youngsters whos daddy buys them a new xr6 or ss when they get their license, and they are perfectly behaved are they? i dont see the problem with a youngster or their parents opting for their first car to be a bloody charade or camry or some old bucket since they are only going to end up denting it at some point anyways (not always by stupidity, could be getting use to parking at a back beach for all we know) in summary us "retards" (yes your a dick for instantly going for cheap insults) that are under 25 might not feel like paying the 2+k a year for a new car or getting into big debt just to be able to get to work and back.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I Had the same idea with power limits, Same as what they have with Bikes, No More then 150KW per ton for Ls and Ps. I did contact the Head of RTA with this idea, As Learners can drive any powered Diesel so long as its not turbo, So they can drive the new VW V12 with 350KW, but its diesel and not turbo.
But apparently they have already trailed this and apparently its not practical.
I dont understand why its not as it works fine with bikes, and again Power limits, I can ride a 1000cc bike & drink, yet i can only drive a V6 cause and not drink.
We really need to adopt what they do in Germany and instructors teach and not the parents, and Leaners start off in the safest car.
As for a comment that mentioned to put rego high on older cars, not everyone can afford 5 star safety rating cars, The government would need to step in and help out like they did in germany.

stockyvrcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ UTE
1991 Holden nova 1.6L can make it to 180km/h, I think those things had about 80kw from the factory, so how's the power restrictions going to save you there? I think the best way to do it would be to make rego really REALLY expensive for cars older than 10 years, that way people are encouraged to ditch these old cars and find something newer and most likely safer.

thats just stupid, tell you what, you buy me a new car and ill happily drive it

Ace_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Pac
I dont think a power limit would work, for example a 200kw 4wd is alot different to a 200kw hatch or sedan. I dont think limits are the answer,I tend tyo agree with what has been said above, and I have also said it in other threads, adequate driver training is the answer. A pwerful car is no different to a toyota echo in terms of safety for P-platers if their attitude is a safe one.

If power limits are introduced then it should be based on power to weight.