Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Powertrain check

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6ltr V6 Alloytec
See attached pic. They are some type of vacuum hose made of shitty plastic. I suggest replacing with rubber vacuum hose.. And FYI i'm still learning about the VZ and Alloytec engine set up.. And try and help where i can, with what problems i come across and fix all without using a "Lazy mechanic scan tool"....

Attachments

• Alloytec v6.jpg
    Alloytec v6.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 1,173

sp32408

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon Tow Package
Thanks i will wondering what the lines were for

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
fix all without using a "Lazy mechanic scan tool"....
On a VE you would be there forever wondering why you had a error keep cropping up everytime you start the car if the steering angle sensor needs calibrating. Seen one person spend over $500 on parts until I plugged in the lazy mechanics tool and fixed the error for free,
Old mate I am near 70 so don't think I am some young computer user but scan tools have their uses and it does not make you lazy it just means you are working smarter and yes there is a BIG difference between the two.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Absolutely. The massive difference is that you now have two layers on a car. Traditional mechanical components which still have fairly traditional diagnostic methods. However carbies are gone. Vacuum networks are gone. Throttle cables are gone. Mechanical components are better made and far more reliable.

Then we overlay a complex computer network. There is literally no way to see what that network is actually doing without scan tools and oscilloscopes. Oscilloscopes are of incredible importance. Good technicians will need to see good data wave forms and have access to known good wave form data to compare.

A multimeter and some pipe cleaners is going to absolutely empty your wallet with guess work and time. Time will be absolutely consumed.

You can’t fix data network issues without data. It’s non sensical.

A scan tool does not tell you what is wrong. That’s not how it works. They tell you where to begin investigating. Where to start collecting data. The data then leads to the next thing. Then the next. In the end you have a picture of the fault and it’s absolute. The fault is found.

I would never get my computer fixed by someone who uses a crystal ball, some uno cards and a cup tea to guess faults.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
See attached pic. They are some type of vacuum hose made of shitty plastic. I suggest replacing with rubber vacuum hose.. And FYI i'm still learning about the VZ and Alloytec engine set up.. And try and help where i can, with what problems i come across and fix all without using a "Lazy mechanic scan tool"....
The plastic is nylon evap/fuel hose/pipe. This can be purchased from EFI Solutions. The ends are rubber and rubber goes hard with age. The ends can be replaced with normal rubber and some sealant to maintain vacuum.

The Nylon is far superior to rubber hoses.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
A scan tool does not tell you what is wrong. That’s not how it works. They tell you where to begin investigating. Where to start collecting data. The data then leads to the next thing. Then the next. In the end you have a picture of the fault and it’s absolute. The fault is found.
Very true just look at the HVAC actuators on a VE. All 3 on the left side all go through the same logic circuit and if one does not work then all 3 fail.
So using a scan tool tells you that all three are faulting but in reality it is only one but that is when you need to test and actually diagnose.
The scan tool gets you there but it does not give you the whole picture most of the time.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Very true just look at the HVAC actuators on a VE. All 3 on the left side all go through the same logic circuit and if one does not work then all 3 fail.
So using a scan tool tells you that all three are faulting but in reality it is only one but that is when you need to test and actually diagnose.
The scan tool gets you there but it does not give you the whole picture most of the time.
It takes blurry photos. (Essentially)