Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Here's a youtube video of a VN with the Astra pump under the left hand guard near the bumper bar....You have to go through it a bit to see it mounted.....He also did a video when he did the conversion, but I can't be bothered looking for it

He was the one I got the inspiration from originally.

I've got the same lowe bracket too.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
The other point to note with this one is it's going to be a big job.

Because I have the variatronic steering rack I can't just swap the pump over. I'm swapping to a standard VR/VS rack and steering column to be able to do this.

But theres also another reason behind it, I want to go bigger headers on the 355, and you can't do that with the variatronic rack as theres only one set of headers in existence that fits it. The Variatronic pacemakers are only 1 5/8 primary and 2 1/4 outlet which is a pretty big restriction with my new engine combo.

So this was always the plan as it has multiple benefits.

I'm going to be running the Manta/Difillipo 4-1 tuned headers with the 355 (I know big tri-y's are better for the street but 4-1's sound better and at the strip they'll do well with high compression and high PRM).
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ3ZWItbmluamEtaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoibXBpYXV0b1wvaW1hZ2VzXC9wcm9kaW1nXC8yMDYwM18xLnBuZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6NzAwLCJoZWlnaHQiOjcwMCwiZml0IjoiaW5zaWRlIiwid2l0aG91dEVubGFyZ2VtZW50Ijp0cnVlfX0sInZlcnNpb24iOiJkNjY0MmEwN2ZiYmQ2NWIxNzc2ZDE5MDI5ZDE2M2I0YmRiYzUxZTg4In0=

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The other point to note with this one is it's going to be a big job.

Because I have the variatronic steering rack I can't just swap the pump over. I'm swapping to a standard VR/VS rack and steering column to be able to do this.

But theres also another reason behind it, I want to go bigger headers on the 355, and you can't do that with the variatronic rack as theres only one set of headers in existence that fits it. The Variatronic pacemakers are only 1 5/8 primary and 2 1/4 outlet which is a pretty big restriction with my new engine combo.

So this was always the plan as it has multiple benefits.

I'm going to be running the Manta/Difillipo 4-1 tuned headers with the 355 (I know big tri-y's are better for the street but 4-1's sound better and at the strip they'll do well with high compression and high PRM).
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ3ZWItbmluamEtaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoibXBpYXV0b1wvaW1hZ2VzXC9wcm9kaW1nXC8yMDYwM18xLnBuZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6NzAwLCJoZWlnaHQiOjcwMCwiZml0IjoiaW5zaWRlIiwid2l0aG91dEVubGFyZ2VtZW50Ijp0cnVlfX0sInZlcnNpb24iOiJkNjY0MmEwN2ZiYmQ2NWIxNzc2ZDE5MDI5ZDE2M2I0YmRiYzUxZTg4In0=

Love the method to your madness..... :)

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
interested to see how the astra pump goes - i remember Mazz telling me he put one in ADM1RD stato. not sure if it was done incorrectly or what but he said at 100ks if you touched the steering wheel slightly it reefed the whole car asif the variable was set at low speed only. not sure how it all works. im not a fan of my gilmer steering pump as it can throw the belt easily.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
interested to see how the astra pump goes - i remember Mazz telling me he put one in ADM1RD stato. not sure if it was done incorrectly or what but he said at 100ks if you touched the steering wheel slightly it reefed the whole car asif the variable was set at low speed only. not sure how it all works. im not a fan of my gilmer steering pump as it can throw the belt easily.
My vt is fine.

Whats a gilmer steering pump?

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
My vt is fine.

Whats a gilmer steering pump?

one of the many times ive pulled this thing off. had to get that lip around the front welded on the last time i took it off

1696662218707.png

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
one of the many times ive pulled this thing off. had to get that lip around the front welded on the last time i took it off

View attachment 258641
I'm with you now.
You have the gilmer belt, so, all the pullies need be the same (gilmer belt).

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I would say thats because he kept the variatronic statesman steering rack in it.

The pump and the rack would have been fighting each other pressurewise. Thats why you need to swap to a standard VR/VS rack.

With the variatronic rack the rack controls and regulates the pressure rather than the pump like on a conventional setup, thats why it won't work. (also why the variatronic racks cost so much to replace/repair).

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That is a bit odd, in theory it should work.

Just run the electric pump at full speed just like the mechanical pump runs full pressure. On the variatronic rack the solenoid basically controls pressure at the rack head by opening/closing a bypass.