Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pros and Cons of VY's?

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
It getting closer to me finally getting a new car. I'm looking at the VY range, mainly the 'S' range and supercharged.

I want all you VY owners to let me know any pros and cons of the VY that you have found owning one and I especially want to hear what those of you that own supercharged ones think!

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I had a berlina and it was a great car, no complaints in the 2 years i had it.
I still would be driving it if my wife hadn't crashed it!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 04 S/W
Love my VY SII not driving her to much now days due to having two company cars to choose from but the one & only thing I did have at around 75,000km was the power steering hose came a little loose via the hose clamp and dropped it's oil.
I did it back up and all is good now but I will get the hose replaced regardless on her next service.

Apart from that shes a great car.

Can't comment on a S/C but do here good things from other people on them.

Hope that little bit of info helps.

Windsurfing.....

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
More than happy with mine. Ive got the n/a S pack and loving it. plenty of power and a really neat car. Recommended 10 out of 10 :D

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
totally happy with my VY SV8. only had it a couple months. so much nicer to drive than the VS ute. not enitrly convinced i like this IRS stuff. time will tell.

Burniehoon

VR 4 Life
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Evoke
Maybe mum has got a dud then cause hers seems to always have some sort of problem with it. Started out one day we were driving along the highway then suddenly the car just cut out we had little brakes and power steering was not existant but to make things worse the lights also went and there was a large truck that had to swerve to avoid us as we could not get of the road safely. Took it in to motors the next day and they said something about the fuel so mum just told them to go all and and fix whatever it was so they gave it back and said they cleaned the fuel tank out and replaced the filter and cleaned injectors. Almost $1000 later and the same problem happened :( mum was not happy at all so she took it back and they replaced the C.A.S but to out dissapoint the problem was still not fixed. so we decided to just put up with it for now. A few weeks later as we drove out of our driveway we heard a verry loud clunk someting to do with suspension so back to motors and they sat there scartching there heads and could not find the problem so anouther wasted $300 for something and still not fixed.

Hope you have a lot better luck than my family did but as i said this may just be a dud.

stoged

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Ok the obvious CON:

PETROL

With petrol prices on nothing but a rise (hitting $1.70 in sydney today!) be prepared to pay through the nose.

EDIT: But i wouldn't trade my vy commy for anything else :)

Farlig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Clubsport
i had a vy acclaim, ran like a dream.
now in a vy clubby, runs like a dream.
keep them serviced regularly, they are great.

just don't buy someone else's neglected ****box, make sure its got legit service history etc and you'll be fine.

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
Vy's are great!

Had mine over 2 years, it's been great, economical on a trip, and comfortable for driver and passengers!

As above, a regularly serviced car will never let you down!!
Mine is done every 5000k's.....Never any surprises!!
\Havn't even had to do the brakes yet!!

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Ok the obvious CON:

PETROL

With petrol prices on nothing but a rise (hitting $1.70 in sydney today!) be prepared to pay through the nose.

EDIT: But i wouldn't trade my vy commy for anything else :)

Fuel isn't an issue. We run a S/C VT and the VN and surprisingly the VT doesn't use that much more than the VN.

i had a vy acclaim, ran like a dream.
now in a vy clubby, runs like a dream.
keep them serviced regularly, they are great.

just don't buy someone else's neglected ****box, make sure its got legit service history etc and you'll be fine.
Yeah, I'll be checking everything. Last thing I want to do is be paying about 20K for something thats been run to ground and mistreated. I want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.