Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommended Stereo

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
yes i know ported has a place but it should not be in anyone car who likes SQ over spl usually.

Having no scientific basis to retort, i shall refrain from entering the "ported is bad SQ" debate. However, the original poster was looking at two subs originally. I think its fair to say he isnt chasing a pure SQ system. (not that SQ cant be had with multiple woofers)

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Garfa... Why are most home theatre subwoofers ported, even the high end SQ ones? Because it depends on the driver used... Some drivers play well in sealed others in ported. "Play well" means SPL or SQ.
ok i dont want to enter this but a low end system will typically get better quality from a sealed setup.
as for home theatre, i would have thought that because it was not reallty practicle to have a large driver in a sealed box that a ported driver of smaller diameter would be considered an equivlent? tell me if i am wrong.
as for lthl i think he is just post whoring, infest.

Infest

Reaction score
Hehe :(..I was thinking that. We were on a completely different subject and up pops "amp wiring kit 2"

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
ok i dont want to enter this but a low end system will typically get better quality from a sealed setup.
as for home theatre, i would have thought that because it was not reallty practicle to have a large driver in a sealed box that a ported driver of smaller diameter would be considered an equivlent? tell me if i am wrong.
as for lthl i think he is just post whoring, infest.

Generally, sealed will give better quality sound. But ported CAN give as good and better frequency response if designed well.

rob_phill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
i think lthl was just saying dont forget to factor in the cost of a wiring kit. something that infest may or may not not have known was required

fnlow1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais '93
I'm trying to figure out how you build a box to APROX 2cu.ft. and then TUNE it to 30Hz. Anyone else see the irony in that?

Nah... im still thinkin he should stick with getting those new tyres mate! :thumbsup: :p