Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline - Flat tyre at 800k

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
We lost an almost brand new tread to a spoon once! The missus was working at a steel recycling/smelter facility, since she left there I don't think we have really experienced punctures....

I've seen a screwdriver inside a tyre.

Like...inside.

Handle and all.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I haven't had an issue in mine.
My previous BM used to get flats every 6 months and that was with 18's.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Low profile tyres are very susceptible to side wall damage if you get too intimate with a kerb. This can lead to a slow leak which you may not notice until the tyre suddenly deflates some time later (e.g. on a freeway, when the extra flexing at speed due to the low pressure causes the tyre to heat up). On the other hand, you may just have been unlucky and ran over a sharp object. Punctures usually (but not always) occur on the back tyres because the front tyre runs over the object and sets it up to puncture the rear.

Apart from my lovely wife writing off a brand new tyre (she took on a drainage pit cover on the side of the road and the cover won), we haven't had any trouble with our 245 40 R19's over 18 months of motoring.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
You young blokes should have been around when we often got a puncture once a month or more.

Off with the wheel with tyre only flat on the bottom of course, and on with the spare.

Home soon as possible, out with the tyre levers, off with the tyre, out with the tube, repair it with the repair kit, test it in a tub of water to be sure no more leaks, back into the tyre, tyre back on the rim and hand pump it up to pressure.

I reckon it took all of ten minutes.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
You young blokes should have been around when we often got a puncture once a month or more.

Off with the wheel with tyre only flat on the bottom of course, and on with the spare.

Home soon as possible, out with the tyre levers, off with the tyre, out with the tube, repair it with the repair kit, test it in a tub of water to be sure no more leaks, back into the tyre, tyre back on the rim and hand pump it up to pressure.

What did the horse do while you had the wheel of the wagon?

jbcow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 redline sportwagon

Well it took me nearly 10 minutes just to get the wheel/jack handle open. It was ceased shut from the factory. Ended up attacking it with the wheel retainer bolt to get it open.

They don't build us young blokes (I'm 41...) like they used to...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I was wondering about the spare saying that it was a temporary wheel, is that only if its on the rear?
Yes, the spare's identical to the front.
I guess the warning's not more verbose because people are stupid & won't understand; safest just to have a blanket cover-all warning.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

tyres... with tubes killed a lot of people.
get a puncture at high speed, the tyre instantly goes flat and if it is a front one, good luck in missing the pole
or oncoming traffic. I lost 2 mates that way... (didn't help they had old Holdens with no collapsible crush zones or seat belts)