Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline or R8 Black

kavallero

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 6.0Ltr
Thanks everyone for their informative replies.
I've found a 2016 SV Black auto with a good price of $65K (or a bit less, hopefully). There is 58Km on the ODO, the dealer claims its a new - unregistered car. Isn't this too much of a mileage for a new vehicle? 58Km?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
No that's entirely reasonable, IMHO.
Don't forget it's likely to have been sitting on their lot for 9-ish months ... they've probably put 25km on it just moving around the yard. :)

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Thanks.

Its strange how there is no R8 badge of on the black SV, nor Clubsport writting on the doors.
Am I missing something?
If its an R8, its should say somewhere on the car .. same with Clubsport thing.

Maybe it wasn't in HSV's budget to blacken the R8 or Clubsport badges! Lol

Last edited:

XR_Strider_GuY

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN F2 SV Black
Thanks everyone for their informative replies.
I've found a 2016 SV Black auto with a good price of $65K (or a bit less, hopefully). There is 58Km on the ODO, the dealer claims its a new - unregistered car. Isn't this too much of a mileage for a new vehicle? 58Km?

Hi kavallero,
Did you end up buying an SV Black? To me compared to the Holden limited editions its damn good value.

ProjectHeron

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8 SV Black
I'm also not interested in the sunroof (maybe because I'm bold, LOL) ..

Is the bi-modal exhaust system the same in both or maybe HSV is different?

I thought a 340Kw LS3 from the HSV Black can be easily tuned up to, say, 370kW or so?!?

The HSV SV Black is different to the redline - the SV Black has a bi modal intake, different headers, and the cat back of a GTS. sounds fantastic IMO, better than the LSAs too. prob the best sounding stock V8 commodore available, but again thats highly subjective just my opinion

ProjectHeron

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8 SV Black
The only thing you lose from the redline with the SV Black is the sunroof. In terms of what it looses over the GenF R8 (or the GenF2 LSA R8) is just the seats and the clubsport + R8 badges (and in the case of the LSA, the engine obviously).

what you gain from the redline is DVD player (yay), 20" wheels standard, and TPMS.

All the same options available to the LSA R8 are also available to the SV Black (Sunroof, Hyperflow spoiler, EDI etc).

Barring the seats which is a shame, if you can see past that, the SV Black is crazy value for money for what you get (presuming you like the HSV look etc)

There is no real comparison in the suspension and exhaust between the redline and SV Black - both very different experiences. The R8 suspension is just right if you ask me, short of the GTS' MRC. Its not harsh at all (like FE3 can be) and corners very flat for passive OEM suspension (remembering the car is 17xx kg...)

XR_Strider_GuY

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN F2 SV Black
The HSV SV Black is different to the redline - the SV Black has a bi modal intake, different headers, and the cat back of a GTS. sounds fantastic IMO, better than the LSAs too. prob the best sounding stock V8 commodore available, but again thats highly subjective just my opinion

Hi Mate,
You will love it. Totally agree what you say. What build number is yours and is it a manual or auto?

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
All the same options available to the LSA R8 are also available to the SV Black (Sunroof, Hyperflow spoiler, EDI etc)

Sort of true.

These cars were built in the middle of last year and have been sitting in dealerships, so whatever options they have are on the car already, or not possible.

I tossed up the SV black vs the SSVR late last year and couldn't justify the price difference. There was going to be at least 8k between them. However, things have changed. A stock SSVR is about $61k D/A and I got mine significantly cheaper with many options.

Today, I would go the SV black over both the MY17 SSVR, and the MSE.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
The Holden dealer would call it the HSV Pink Flamingo if they thought it'd sell a few. :)

The HSV website lists all 3 LS3 special editions from last year, they explicitly name the one with the bone-jarring suspension as the Clupsport R8 Race Edition, but the one we're discussing here is named SV Black.

I'd say you a are right, looking on HSV website, no mention of R8 on the Black Edition. With the Track Edition they do refer to R8 - Clubsport R8 Track Edition - but I still don't see an R8 badge. The Black is referred to as Limited Edition SV Black - there is no mention of R8 on the SV Black page. Like for like comparison these are 2016 cars, if you can get a 2016 Redline say around $57,000 there is probably at least $6 or $7k price difference, personally I'd rather the HSV, it's a pity the SV Black doesn't have R8 seats for another point of distinction from Redline.

kavallero

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 6.0Ltr
..... if you can get a 2016 Redline say around $57,000 there is probably at least $6 or $7k price difference, personally I'd rather the HSV, it's a pity the SV Black doesn't have R8 seats for another point of distinction from Redline.

The best I was quoted for an R8 Black was $65K .......... then $67K, etc...