Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redlining: How bad is it really?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
My VZ Exec is completely stock, and I've only done this twice in the lifetime of the car, nearly 160k on the clock so far. Lol happened to be on the "empty highway situation" today, felt a bit guilty after doing it :p I love my Commy and wish to keep him for a long time... just love how badass he can get at times haha!

It's a VZ Exec mate - The only badass you are going to get from that is when you meet bubba in your jail cell from getting caught.

To answer your question, hitting the limiter once in a while is unlikely to cause damage. There is always the chance that the associated lean out will cause catastrophic engine failure. Just accelerating to speed and letting the auto do it's job is unlikely to cause trouble.

Hehehe can be true. I remember dad taking his WM Caprice for its regular service one time. They told him they had to clean out his fuel injectors. Asking how they got clogged... they told him he wasn't driving hard enough :p Guess I did my Commy a favour then

??? WTF??? They told him wrong. Get a new fuel filter, don't by crappy fuel and get a new mechanic.

Strange that the engine would allow itself to go beyond the rev limit. Shouldn't the shift point then be at 5500 rpm?

RPM where there is peak power & the rev limit are two different things.

Yes, that is the sort of problem to worry about. Auto trans would eliminate that problem, seeing everything is electronically controlled. Manual trans, don't get over-excited and shift properly.

Other than that, it seems letting the car stretch its muscles once in a while can be good. Get rid of all that crap that gathers inside there.

Unlikely the manual would go into gear unless you are very unlucky. If it did go in be prepared for a massive compression lockup.

Yes burning out the cobwebs once in a while is good for the motor. Bouncing off the limiter should be avoided.

Reaper

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
It's a VZ Exec mate - The only badass you are going to get from that is when you meet bubba in your jail cell from getting caught.

To answer your question, hitting the limiter once in a while is unlikely to cause damage. There is always the chance that the associated lean out will cause catastrophic engine failure. Just accelerating to speed and letting the auto do it's job is unlikely to cause trouble.

??? WTF??? They told him wrong. Get a new fuel filter, don't by crappy fuel and get a new mechanic.

RPM where there is peak power & the rev limit are two different things.

Unlikely the manual would go into gear unless you are very unlucky. If it did go in be prepared for a massive compression lockup.

Yes burning out the cobwebs once in a while is good for the motor. Bouncing off the limiter should be avoided.

Reaper

Thanks for the thorough reply Reaper.

For me, the Exec is plenty. Being my first car, I really consider it my precious, love and appreciate everything about it. Normally I drive defensively and responsibly. Contrary to what others say, I find the occasional burst of power a real treat, within speed limits ofcourse. The acceleration is great and the handling is top-notch. It feels like a sports car. Such strong features in terms of performance, and its still a very practical and family-friendly car. That's what I love about it.

The carbon build-up in dad's WM could be because of filling up with 91 octane instead of 95. Will let him know about that.

What does bouncing off the limiter mean?? When driving a manual, foot down in say 2nd gear, and not shifting into 3rd when needle bounces up and down at 6000 rpm?

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
What does bouncing off the limiter mean?? When driving a manual, foot down in say 2nd gear, and not shifting into 3rd when needle bounces up and down at 6000 rpm?
pretty much... its why when you see burnout videos you'll hear the "bah bah bah" sound and then if the bloke driving is retarded sometimes your rewarded with the engine blowing
im not talking about the "professional" burnout comps but those videos of retards on a back road in a shitty looking vl

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
if he's happy with it why knock him? If he came from an old camaro or something it probably does feel like a sports car lol

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
lol, you need to drive a few sports cars ;)

if he's happy with it why knock him? If he came from an old camaro or something it probably does feel like a sports car lol

Lol fellas seriously? :D Decent acceleration, one that can put a smile across your face. Hardly any body-roll around corners. Grips the road like glue. Looks hot from every angle. What more can you ask for? Maybe it doesn't suit you, works fine for me.

Maybe exhaust and headers sometime after college, SV6 bodykit, that's it. :dance:

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
Lol fellas seriously? :D Decent acceleration, one that can put a smile across your face. Hardly any body-roll around corners. Grips the road like glue. Looks hot from every angle. What more can you ask for? Maybe it doesn't suit you, works fine for me.

Maybe exhaust and headers sometime after college, SV6 bodykit, that's it. :dance:

as long as your happy.. thats the main thing. just dont drive another car again till you sell it yeah :p

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
It feels like a sports car.

Lol what? Sports car?

Limiter is where it sounds like it's trying to go higher but the limiter's not letting it....sounds like NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

YouTube - ‪Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder bouncing off the rev limiter!! Epic acceleration sound‬‏

YouTube - ‪Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder bouncing off the rev limiter!! Epic acceleration sound‬‏