Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redlining: How bad is it really?

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Lol fellas seriously? :D Decent acceleration, one that can put a smile across your face. Hardly any body-roll around corners. Grips the road like glue. Looks hot from every angle. What more can you ask for? Maybe it doesn't suit you, works fine for me.

Maybe exhaust and headers sometime after college, SV6 bodykit, that's it. :dance:

I was actually supporting the OP lol. :/

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
valve bouncing happens on cars which dont have a limiter set, so its bouncing at the max the engine handles. our cars like the alloytec will sit comfortably at the limiter without bouncing. and the painted area on the sv6 is not indicating redline, redline is where its limiter is, which is at 6500rpm. and in no way am i saying that leaving the car sitting at limiter will not be detrimental to the engine :) . also to note, you will find that you cant change down too low of a gear in an auto or manual, example, if you put ur 175 alloytec in gear 1, and drive it to redline, it will change on its own to protect the engine. these engines will last a lifetime if general servicing and checkups happen, because there are so many limiters and other computer controlled things protecting the engine from destroying itself.

Bryce_VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
haha Cameron :rolleyes:
If I drive like a hoon for a bit my engine goes straight up to 3/4 hot and stays there, and i get nervous so i quieten down.
I'm the type that is scared of doing burnouts incase my tires lose too much tread..

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
thats what you get from being stupid huh? :(

oh jeez that doesnt sound good =S. i got new tyres last year and they are still going strong... too expensive to waste

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
put it this way...i've driven my car for 35,000 kms and its constantly been bouncing off the limitor (daily)..being a 'spirited' driver i tend to put my car to its limits...richardpalinkas is pretty much spot on..the rev limitor is there to limit it from revving even more to destroy the engine...so even though most people will say, don't hit the redline let alone the limitor koz as soon as it's reaching it's maximum allowed ( when it goes bah bah bah ) you're ####ing the engine straight up, not true, limitor is there to limit the revs so you don't #### the engine straight up...in saying that, bouncing it off the limitor constantly isn't a good idea ( like i do ) if you want to keep the engine alive longer.