Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing HVAC to get to recirc door

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Hi all, having a difficult time trying to remove LH side of HVAC to get to the recirc door. Can't seem to move the bugger and feels like something is keeping it in place.

Generally followed steps in this post:
VE Commodore 2009 Single zone HVAC problems

What I've done (see also pics):

Removed cowling (plenum)
Removed glovebox and associated
Removed inside lower ducting
Removed HVAC controller & associated plugs.
Removed 10mm bolt under TX valve on firewall (PIC 1).
Removed 10mm bolt to blower housing under plenum (cowling) near recirc door (cabin filter box) (PIC 2).
Removed lower wiring loom clips to blower motor.
Removed bolt (on bracket) behind wiring loom on left side (have a pic, can't find it!).
Removed blower motor/fan.
Removed screws on housing right side including bugger of a screw that is vertical (see pic 4).

The assembly is only slightly moving and feels like something is securing it. Had a bloody good look and can find nothing.

firewallboltTX.jpg

PIC 1: Didn't remove TX-valve 13mm bolt (directly above arrow) as don't want to regas and I'm informed does not need to be removed.
Just removed the 10mm bolt (at arrow point).

firewallboltrhside.jpg

PIC 2: 10mm bolt at firewall (RHS - that's the recirc door to the left).
firewallboltinsideglovebox.jpg

PIC3: Inside version of above.
screwremoved.jpg

PIC4: PITA screw at arrow (hard to make out). When I get this done I'll post pics of how I got this bugger out.

See pic #3 - The bolt that has been removed from the firewall also seems to go into some type of internal clip (in addition to the firewall). I suspect the clip might be holding the assembly in, but as I can't get to it I've no clue what's happening here. Is there a plate on the back of the assembly that comes out with it?
I have jiggled the glove box bracket (LHS) as the assembly bolts into it here - but does not seem to be holding it.

Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.

adios57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
The clip which is near that vertical screw is hard to move. It can hold it in. there is also a surround where the two ac pipes come in that has to be moved back. Watch the Korr Sy video but remember he took the TX valve out.
Gently pull it back and down.
Make sure that where the bracket on the left behind the wiring loom is pulled to the left to give you more room to remove the left side of the HVAC assembly.
Gently wiggle the assembly watching to see that all the screws that you removed including one under the assembly are coming free.
I pulled it down and then back and out.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Thx Adios. I thought that vertical screw area might also be a clip (it certainly looks like it now!), but then assumed it was not (as there is the screw...). I'll look at that again tmrw. Hopefully that's key to getting somewhere.
Yeah I'm not removing the TX valve.
I've watched that vid quite a few times and at the point i'm at the video stuffs around alot (he was obviously learning how to do it at the same time - which is fair enough). Quite frustrating, as I automatically tilt my head to get a better look (that don't work! :cool:).
I'm also doing it on a Calais V so there's a bunch more wiring/sockets to move from that area otherwise you have trouble seeing anything.
Really important part I found in your post was the warning re TX valve. Really good stuff, thanks.
Very much appreciate the help. Cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I did it on a Calais V and have a lot of photos of it if you need.

I still have my notes too. Sounds like you’ll get it with the help so far.

@J_D 2.0 did it (I think it was him)

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
IMG_4092.jpeg
IMG_4093.jpeg

Minus the section you’re trying to remove
IMG_4095.jpeg

And not that you’re replacing the evap core, but for the record the JayAir core I bought was way off for a fit. As was the heater core. Bought genuine at almost same price and they fitted up like a glove.

Last edited:

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Ah, thanks (YET AGAIN!) Fu. Its a plate, and not some dreaded clip. I'm referring the furthest right bottom in your pic. This is attached to the assembly itself, yes? You know, I've seen this before and should have checked - apologies. Minus 1 for me.

BTW, By Golly Gee you have such a clean HVAC - so clean you can place it on a nice floor!
No sneezing in your car! ;). Or, is this the baby that's gone?

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
I did it on a Calais V and have a lot of photos of it if you need.

I still have my notes too. Sounds like you’ll get it with the help so far.

@J_D 2.0 did it (I think it was him)
Yeah it was J_D 2.0, not a Calais V from what I can remember, but same same except for extra luxuries that GET IN THE WAY!

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah, thanks (YET AGAIN!) Fu. Its a plate, and not some dreaded clip. I'm referring the furthest right bottom in your pic. This is attached to the assembly itself, yes? You know, I've seen this before and should have checked - apologies. Minus 1 for me.

BTW, By Golly Gee you have such a clean HVAC - so clean you can place it on a nice floor!
No sneezing in your car! ;). Or, is this the baby that's gone?
Yes. I still miss it. We all do. Sometimes swear we see it. The fkn gearbox though. 5L40e. Boo.

Do love the new car (even though Hyundai have had it for two months figuring out random loss of power issues.)

The firewall with everything removed. Might help
IMG_4097.jpeg

Yes, that HVAC was disassembled 100%. Scrubbed with bleach. Then scrubbed with sugar soap. Then dishwashing liquid. Every seal done better than factory. New evap. New heater core. Then all plastics soaked in aerospace 303. Drain rubber lubed up with rubber grease.

IMG_4096.jpeg

Then much more was done as the can of worms opened up on me.

IMG_4099.jpeg

A large part of the car got an overhaul.
It was better than new.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Yes. I still miss it. We all do. Sometimes swear we see it. The fkn gearbox though. 5L40e. Boo.

Do love the new car (even though Hyundai have had it for two months figuring out random loss of power issues.)

The firewall with everything removed. Might help
View attachment 254257

Yes, that HVAC was disassembled 100%. Scrubbed with bleach. Then scrubbed with sugar soap. Then dishwashing liquid. Every seal done better than factory. New evap. New heater core. Then all plastics soaked in aerospace 303. Drain rubber lubed up with rubber grease.

View attachment 254254
Then much more was done as the can of worms opened up on me.

View attachment 254256
A large part of the car got an overhaul.
It was better than new.
I haven't seen many Calais' this colour code - but guess I've never actively looked either. Nice, but must have been a bugger to keep clean with kids.