Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing Oil Pressure Sensor

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
did the fault go away after you change the switch or did you have to clear the fault with scan tool after you change the switch?

Fault goes away straight away... no need to reset anything. Just replace the switch, it's all you need to do, and it's very very easy.

pirate048

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 04 190kw
so does the scan tool pick up that fault.. or is that a different sort of fault.. the scantool a got is maxscan gs500.. and at this satge iam still learning how to use it and what to look for and what it can do.. thanks for the help

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
so does the scan tool pick up that fault.. or is that a different sort of fault.. the scantool a got is maxscan gs500.. and at this satge iam still learning how to use it and what to look for and what it can do.. thanks for the help

I don't know the differences between different scan tools, but I do know that some tools can't pick up all the faults. I did a scan using my dad's scan tool (he's a mechanic) and it didn't pick up any faults at all, yes every time I drove the car it gave me the SVS warning.
Oil pressure switch fixed that though :)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If the Service Vehicle Soon warning appears, and you don't have access to a scan tool, there is a simple way of determining whether the oil pressure sender is at fault.

Unplug the wiring connection from the sender. If it's full of oil, the chances are good that the sender will be the culprit behind the service message. If the connector is dry, the fault could still be the sender, but leaking oil senders is such a common fault with early Alloytecs that it's worth checking for the oil leak anyway.

There is a seal within the sender that is designed to keep the sensor mechanism clean and dry. The seal fails pretty early on, the oil gets into the guts of the switch and it faults out. The oil, which is under pressure and very hot, is then able to exit into the connector. There is a seal around the connector so the oil is mostly trapped within the connection and quite a bit will escape when you unplug the wiring. Unfortunately, cleaning out the connection doesn't fix the problem but if oil is present, the switch is stuffed anyway and is very likely to be the cause of your SVS message.

pirate048

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 04 190kw
i unplug the connector from the sender and i have no oil in there.. have read on the forum that a few have had there oil pressure sender show up the SVS fault... and have had to replace it..

fil111

fil111
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 05 black Lumina V6
I found a guy who is selling the oil pressure switch made by 'Tridon' , who by the way make them for Holden, for $100 plus $9 postage. Dont let another Holden Dealership rob anyone again for inbuilt faults!

pirate048

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 04 190kw
hi all.. i replaced my oil pressure switch and my SVS has gone ( and did a oil change at the same time).. but have notice that some of my options menu are gone.. they disapear at the same time my SVS fault for my oil presure switch showed up but they were there before SVS fault.. anyone got any ideas how to restore them or get them back???

ads3630

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore Executive
hold in mode for 3-5 seconds to get your options menu... Choose what you do/ dont want displayed.

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
After replacing the sensor, you need to reset the service message through the dash.