Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reseting VN-VP ECU

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
get the engine to operating temperature
remove the engine fuse for 20 seconds,
restart & hold the revs above 2500 for 10 seconds to reset the IAC

the TPS zero reset is only from VT & later

That's a very practical way of achieving the greater than 10 seconds and 2000rpm requirements. It's still questionable as to why it is necessary at all.

Yes, VT- will relearn TPS idle position any time that idle occurs. Where no adjustment for TPS position is present, as for VN- , the TPS 0% position will be learned by the ECM/PCM at least on start up.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
That's a very practical way of achieving the greater than 10 seconds and 2000rpm requirements. It's still questionable as to why it is necessary at all.

Yes, VT- will relearn TPS idle position any time that idle occurs. Where no adjustment for TPS position is present, as for VN- , the TPS 0% position will be learned by the ECM/PCM at least on start up.

The 20 seconds is to allow the ECM to power down completely
the revs need to be held up until the IACV resets
VT relearns the TPS at ignition on
VN- does not at any time

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
VT relearns the TPS at ignition on
VN- does not at any time

I went back to the engine management workshop manuals for a couple of models using the 1227808 to be sure I wasn't misremembering something. In the TPS output check and under the two fault codes for the TPS is: "The TPS is not adjustable. The ECM uses the reading at idle as "0% throttle", so no adjustment is necessary."

From a VT series mass air flow manual: "The PCM will learn what the closed throttle value is every time the throttle comes back to closed throttle.". I can't say with the same certainty what VR and VS do but they should do what VN/VP and VT do respectively. GM is not lone in non-adjustable TPS, self-learning ECM either.

The learning makes sense as, apart from manufacturing variation between TPS's and throttle bodies, base idle speed adjustment will alter the TPS signal voltage at idle. I suspect the learning each time the throttle is closed, as distinct from only on key on/start, is to avoid stalling caused by intermittent sticking of the throttle varying the apparent base idle speed and the corresponding IAC motor steps needed to reach the desired idle speed prior to feedback correction.

Fair comment re. having the revs above 2000rpm for long enough for the IAC valve to close. I still say just drive the car.

Interestingly, in looking up the TPS info., I also found that an IAC reset can also be forced on the 1227808 (VN-VP) by inserting a 10k ohm resistor across terminals 'A' and 'B' on the ALDL connector. These are the same terminals that are shorted with a jumper wire to extract the codes by flashing the check engine light on the dash - a 10k ohm resistance is what Tech 1 uses to indicate to the ECM that it is connected to the ALDL. The > 2000rpm bit is still required.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
yes cheap6, driving the car will eventually cause it to re-learn the idle, however doing the tried and tested method of dis-connecting the ecu for 20 seconds and then holding the revs @ 2000rpm forces the ecu into a reset and you know it's then set.

on occasion when i've been in a hurry after re-fitting the the TB and haven't done a full reset and just driven off i've encountered stalling/high revs at idle issues as the PCM tries to relearn. doing a forced reset negates these problems.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
From a VT series mass air flow manual: "The PCM will learn what the closed throttle value is every time the throttle comes back to closed throttle.". I can't say with the same certainty what VR and VS do but they should do what VN/VP and VT do respectively. GM is not lone in non-adjustable TPS, self-learning ECM either..

The VT system will learn the MAF value at 0% TPS, the TPS value is done at power down

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 695

PietroChocko

Nurses do it better.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a VN Executive 5.0, but now a Ford Laser Auto.
I think cheap6 nailed it.