Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Respray Car

holster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP BT1 V8
I'm changed the color of my VP to Anthracite Grey.
I had the paint mixed up from a panel shop suppliers.
It seems to have a purple tinge to the colour when viewed from a certain angle otherwise looks like a dark grey.
Is it right or mixed incorrectly.
I have seen a VP international and in this colour and i don't remember it having the purple tinge to it.

Thanks

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I haven't seen an anthracite car in the flesh for many years now, bit from what I remember, they could show a slght purple tinge in the right light.

Depends how purple yours is I suppose. Given you have done a colour change, as long as you like the colour does it matter if it sn't factory perfect ?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i resprayed my vp in ppg deltron solvent (dove gray) and it was really red off the system too. i didnt bother altering the color to match the original because if i get into a prang the color is off the system with no need to match it. if you look at the quarter panel to the inside of the door jamb, the new color looks red/purple when its meant to be more of a pale blue/green. i painted the inside of the bootlid too so you can see the color difference on the hinge as well. the paint formula being used is an interpretation of a color thats 25+ years old. it will never match 100%. as long as the car is all one color on the outside youre good to go.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I'd also suspect different brands of paint use different tints and colour combinations to achieve the desired colour. It's not as if all the car paint in the world comes from the same factory if you catch my drift.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
I'd also suspect different brands of paint use different tints and colour combinations to achieve the desired colour. It's not as if all the car paint in the world comes from the same factory if you catch my drift.

bingo. 10 different paint systems will have 10 different paint matches for the same code. the deltron system i use at work, all the metallic paint codes tend to be too red when you mix them.