Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Respraying doors

Quick Step

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II Executive
So I took the trolley strips off the left hand side of my car (didn't realize it would be such a pain in the butt). So the paint underneath the strip was damaged so stupid me decided it would be ok to do a quick spray with a can of colour matched paint from SCA, well that was a bad idea. Now I've got a blindingly obvious whiter stripe down the side of my car:doh:. Its been like that for a few weeks now and its driving me mad, so I'm going to respray the left side. I'm not a fan of the little groove down the side of the door so I'm going to fill it so its smooth. I'll be doing this with a spray gun this time and I'll be taking my time. My only concern is getting the correct coloured paint and applying the clear coat properly. So I'll have to remove the trim at the top of the door to clear coat the door I assume? So that means taking the inside trim off as well to get to the outside trim. And before you say "take it to a body shop and get them to do it" I really want to paint my own project cars down the line so I might as well start with this. So from what I've read, acrylic is the best option to go with in terms of paint. So if all goes well I'll take the strip off the other side and repeat :)

So first question: How do I go about getting the paint colour matched, I'm a little nervous about this as the last colour matched paint was no where near correct.

Second question: Do I need to remove all the trim on the doors or can I get away with blending the clear coat?

Third question: How much base coat and clear will I need to do the front quarter panel, front door and rear door?

Any help would be great as this is the biggest thing I've sprayed yet. I've sprayed a lot with cans and have got some very impressive results so I'm not to worried about using a gun. I'll also going to be painting the black plastic side skirts, front and rear bumper so do I need to add anything to the paint to stop it from cracking when the panel flexes? That will also give me a chance to get the hang of the gun on something that doesn't really matter if its not 100% perfect, but I will try and make it perfect :)

BOOSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ACCLAIM S2 WAGON
Take your car to paint supply shop and they will match it in the natural light as close as they can. Ask them any questions about the product they will also be much cheaper then sca not too mention quality.

If you have not been taught how to blend don't even bother trying just paint the whole panel out an just mask it up rather than pulling everything off

Depends on how well the colour covers, how thick you mix your colour , type of gun (High pressure) pot or gravity fed eco ****.
I drop a few ball bearings in my pot with most metalics to help keep the paint moving

Quick Step

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II Executive
Ok thanks Booster :). I'll have to see if there is a paint supply shop in Albany as its a fairly small town but there must be one somewhere. Your help is much appreciated :thumbsup:

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Everything booster said is right.

My white paint was a bit harder to match, its very close but not 100%

I'm no pro but this is what I have found with trial and error.

I'd say 2 litres each of colour and clear should cover you with some left over for practice/Stuff ups.

Recommend a gravity feed gun (HVLP), even a cheap one is heaps better then a suction feed gun. 1.4mm tip is fine, mix paint 30% to thinners 70% and you will get more even results, it will take longer but less chance to stuff up if you are new to it.

As far as plastic bumpers and side skirts go, you use a plastic adhesion primer which allows the paint to flex. Also get from a Paint supply shop.

And the Other side of it, air compressor with at least 50L tank and 150 FAD, inline filter and you should get pretty good results.

Quick Step

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II Executive
Cheers Sleepa :thumbsup:. Ok cool, have you got a heron white car as well? So 1ltr of each per side should be enough? I've got a decent HVLP gun and my compressor is 180ltrs a minute with a 40ltr tank so I might have to wait a few seconds for it to catch up again. I'll look at getting another tank that I can link up to this one to give me more capacity. I've got a water separator/regulator, do I need a filter as well? Thanks for the advice :)

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Mine is Alaskan white, but the fresh paint still looks whiter. After I wet sanded, cut it back and polished it matches better but still not quite. But if I was to blend it in it would probably match up.

I have 1 litre for my bonnet, bumper and guards. If you are just doing the sides then 2L of each should be enough. You may need more if you are going to do a bumper or bonnet, etc as well.
You may want to put a few more coats of clear on it though. Easier to sand out the imperfections without cutting through to colour.

Is yours a Blackridge compressor? I have used a 180L min Air compressor with a 40L tank for painting, it's do-able, but you do have to wait for it to build up enough pressure between panels. My current one is a belt driven V-twin with a 100L tank, the extra capacity of the tank really helps for painting large areas.

Get an inline filter and attach it to the gun, if there is any moisture in the air lines then it will remove it before it gets to the gun. You really need it if there is any humidity in the air. The less water in the paint the better the results.

Also the reason I said to use more thinners is it will be wetter off the gun and leave a nice finish (If it is really hot where you are this is good as it won't dry as quick and go all dusty. Just don't spray it too thick, as it will run)

Once again I have no training, it may not be "correct", this is just what I have learnt from google, the paint supply shops, and a little practice.

The only other thing is make sure your body work is perfect, as even small imperfections will be very visible once painted. And sand primer down to around 600G-800G before colour.

And on the topic of primer, sand the plastic parts down, then use prepsol on them, then spray the plastic primer down. If they are in good condition you could use clear plastic primer (no sanding required afterwards), otherwise you can get plastic primer filler which is sandable. After that just spray colour as usual.