Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rim touching strut

dylan720

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp cxommordore
There 19s on the but only one rim is touching i swaoped the 2 fronts around originally the rim was touching the left front strut so i put the wheel from front right on the left and its not touching it but the rim from the left side is touching on the right side now so i cah only put it down to the rim is the issue but i dont know what it. Could be as it has a brand new tyre on it it was blanced with no issues and no buckles that i was told about when it was balanced they just said your good to take it the car was unregistered at the time so i just took the wheel down and got the tyre changed

dylan720

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp cxommordore
Th tyre size on all 4 rims are 245/40/R19 sorry i missed your post too so rewrote it

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
put a straight edge across the tyre at the back and measure down inside to the mounting block and then do a wheel that is ok and see if it has a different offset

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Tyre could be out of round.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you have swapped the rim from one side to the other and it is that rim touching, it's obvious the rim is the cause.

Why the shop said nothing I can't say other than they didn't watch the rim spinning when balancing it.

Reactions: Lex

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Did HSV fit different width/offset wheels front and rear?
OP has inadvertently ended up in a situation trying to fit a rear wheel on the front?

dylan720

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp cxommordore
That was another idea that ran threw my head is maybe 2 rims are made for the rear and 2 made for the front i havent heard of that before but that dont mean it isnt right i have a mechanic mate who is completely baffled himself to he has said that and is gonna come around today with a straight edge see what happens will keep you guys updayed thanks for the help

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
That was another idea that ran threw my head is maybe 2 rims are made for the rear and 2 made for the front i havent heard of that before but that dont mean it isnt right i have a mechanic mate who is completely baffled himself to he has said that and is gonna come around today with a straight edge see what happens will keep you guys updayed thanks for the help
I know your HSV wheels were not original fitment to your VE Omega but did the wheel in question come off your car to have a new tyre fitted to it, or was it a process of bought the HSV wheels and had new tyres fitted as and when you could afford them?

Just found the following in this thread: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/ve-hsv-wheel-fitment.236707/
So indeed it appears that the HSV wheels are different widths and offset front to rear.
Screenshot 2024-04-06 093850.png

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Same size tire but different brand? Or same brand but newer tread/sidewall design?

Can you post a picture of the wheel fitted on the car and where it fouls on the strut?

Does it foul on the strut for the entire rotation of the wheel?