Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Road trip to syndey?

cyprusx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 2002 Commodore Sedan
Hey guys im planning to drive to Sydney from the gold coast I was wonder if anyone know how much fuel it would cost or how much L/100km a VX 2002 commodore uses? the drive is about 843km

Also Does anyone think it will be cheaper to take an air plane and just send the car to Sydney which would cost about $400 not including the flight?

Also does anyone have any advice, its my first time driving interstate. I'm just planning to use my gps on my phone and hope not to get lost.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I think the $400 it's going to cost to send the car will more than cover your fuel there and back.

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
Lot's of factors,depends whereabouts you'll be staying and who with.Fuel will be around 90 litres each way, so if you pay $1.50 litre you'll be up for $270.Plus extras.Overnight stopover each way,RACQ membership,full car service before you leave etc.But it's a great drive and if you happen to be staying in one of the western suburbs you could consider going via the New England Hwy and then go the "back way" to Sydney via the Putty Road (great drive) from Singleton to Windsor.If you're staying in the city then I would fly down and use taxis and public transport cos if you don't know the place it's going to be a whole new experience.Drivers down there actually have to know how to drive and will have little or no patience in regard to a GC'er who has never really experienced serious traffic....I've done the trip not less than a couple of hundred times and I enjoy it every time but I wouldn't want to be relying on a GPS to drive around down there except for finding an actual address once already in the vicinity of where I was going. Give us more info.

Woody_SS

Defective User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I have done the trip for Canberra to Brisvegas many a time.
Normally do it in a single drive (No O/N stop)
You should be able to do it on 1 tank + a bit

Are you down in Sydney for a long time ? (why would you fly and ship???)
Sydney public transport generally works really well and can get you to most places cheaply or near enough that a 15min walk/cab ride is required.

Things to Note:
No on highway fuel between Newcastle and Sydney outskirts
Time your arrival into Sydney to avoid peak hour
The coast road all bit it further tends to be quicker as it's mostly 2 lanes, inland (Glenn Innes) is 1 lane and if you get caught behind a truck can be painful.

YMY-70Y

Need more powwwaaahhh
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY sII S and VT sII S
+1 for the drive.

such a good drive. Experience it seriously, take your time and take some pictures.

definitely avoid peak times.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Make sure you take jumper cables, Spare light globes, Oil, Water, Check your spare tire. Makesure your jack & locknut socket are in the car. Just common sense items.

I'd drive btw :D

Oh, An buy a proper GPS. Your cell phone GPS won't be up to scratch an may drop out as it'll also bounce using AGPS (Assisted GPS) from phone towers.

Cheers
Mat

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I always drive unless I am going overseas, its much more fun, more relaxing and once your at your destination you already have a car so no need for rentals/taxi's

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I got well under 8L/100ks from a VTII from Melbourne to Sydney so you're up for just over a tank each way.

Interstate driving is no big deal, Id just check oil, coolant, tyre pressures before you leave. But the east coast isn't exactly remote so it's not like you'll get stranded anywhere if you have a breakdown.

cyprusx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 2002 Commodore Sedan
Hey guys thanks for the replies, well the reason im leaving the coast for Sydney is im looking for an electrical apprenticeship

I have to admit i don't really know anything about cars, so thats why im signing up for RACQ

Also im a little confused about the cost of fuel one of you guys said it will cost $270 an another guys said it will cost just over a tank each way which is considerably less expensive?

yea i just want to do it straight no hotels or anything. How would i plan to go their without traffic

Thanks