Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rough costing to fix leaking rear main seal

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
*VOLATILE* said:
F**k that. That's ridiculous. Better off selling my car. What do you think?

as i said before going rate is around 1k in perth obviously looks cheaper in nsw's etc but it depends on what the cars worth to you to keep it or not one thing is if you sell the car your not gona have a very happy camper if they realise when they buy the car its gona cost them a grand to fix you might wana watch your windows for bricks going through them ive often thought since the rear main seal is the seal between the tranny and the engine and if your tranny is a bit dodgy wouldent it be technicly cheaper to get a reco transmission and they would do the seal at the same time ??? my transmission is a bit dodgy on the vs but thankfully i dont have a rear main seal leak i was thinkin of holding out untill my rear main does leak and do a reco kill two birds with one stone something to maybe think about

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Evil_monkey, that seems like a logical way to do things hey..............but at the moment, my tranny is pretty smooth and runs like a gem. Unless of course i upgrade the tranny to a manual! Just thought i'd let you or anyone know that i called around yesterday and i found someone that was charging up to a GRAND to fix the rear main seal!!!

Then i called another reputable mechanic and they quoted damn near half that price at around $550. Jeepers man, my eyes lit up!!! Parts, labour, new plate, new seal, whole kit-and-kaboodle. Might call around some more today and try get some more quotes....................just thought i'd let you'se all know. (Only really applicable if your in West OZ..............to an extent ;)

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Yeah man, if one mechanic does it at that price, god knows what other mechanics would do it for. I'm gonna keep calling around and getting quotes EvilMonkey. Seeing we're both from Perth, i'll keep you posted mate.

maxbow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Rear Main Blues

:b: Well, from a mate who is a Holden Spares Manager, don't ever just replace the seal, it will still leak. The problem lies in the backing plate which warps. This means that you replace the seal and guess what? The f%#$^&ing thing still leaks. Any how I bought the whole shebang off some dude on E-bay and NO Leaks. Must be one of the few. Cheers Max.

*VOLATILE*

Monaro here i come
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
Well this mechanic has said to me that most of the $550 that he is charging comprises mostly of the backing plate anyway.............apparently the factory backing plate is known to warp badly.............is this the case?

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
Volatile in your original posting you never mentioned what model car the rear main seal was leaking in. If its a VN then yes possibly a sneaky pete tool can be used but if its a later vehicle with the one piece rear main seal then its a whole different kettle of fish. Yes the backing plate is very common for warping in later cars but you also have to remove the tranny ans surrounding gear to remove this plate. A special tool from holden is also supposed to be used to reinstall the new seal inside the new housing. Make doubly sure either the rocker covers arnt leaking or the intake manifold gaskets which both will give a similar symptom. Not a job I would tackle at home for the unprepared and I'm a holden mechanic!!