Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rounded sump plug! Welding Onto A Sump Plug?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Lol... I wasn't joking about the pipe wrench

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
I welded a nut onto my one when i first got the car as it was already munted.
Worked first go.. even with my shitty welds

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Seriously... Grab the 300mm pipe wrench. Used to work as a manager of an express oil change joint in the US. If it was rounded... Pipe wrench and then replace.

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
Go down to bunnings and buy the Irwin socket set. It's designed for rounded of bolts it works a treat

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Go to Thailand and get yourself a Thai stripper. They're designed for rounded off bolts. Works a treat.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
If you heat the sump plug up with an oxy it will expand making it tighter in the sump thread. If it's over tightened I reckon if you try to use an easy out it will just snap the easy out unless it's a failry thick one which means a large diameter hole.

NOT EVERY ONE HAS A OXY LAYING AROUND THERE MAN CAVE

Oxygen e size 98 or 99 bucks. Then 17 rent. Acetelyne 270+ plus 17 rent.. I can see why no one has it laying around..

yea i know right and less ya own them outright , i just used my air chizel to get mine out.

so true, i have a brand new oxy set ,I gat as a birthday present 15 years ago, still in carry case , opened once , never used after i found out how much it was gunna cost ,

did the calculations , figured i was just gunna use it for cutting and went out and bought a plasma cutter .

oh, and my 2 bits , drill a hole and eze-out it > buy new sump alan keyed plug , and don't they replace these every 4-5th service ?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
So after 5 pages did you pick up the pipe wrench / Stilsons and remove it in 5 minutes? (Including time it took to drink a bundy after?)

Happy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Executive S2 3.8 Ecotec
I just use my angle grinder to grind two opposite faces of the 19mm A/F hexagon sump plug to about 10mm to 12mm A/F (of course it is no longer a hexagon).
That gives a massively long face to put your shifter onto.
Always works for me.
I still have to be careful of course to give it the best opportunity to work.

sebbas103

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE
the moron that owned my car before me did the sump plug up so tight that it first broke my cheapy sca socket then the stronger socket stripped the bolt so mig welded a nut on the plug and got the breaker on to it then the nut snapped off so welded the nut super welded with heaps of weld after making my breaker about a meter and a half long that bolt snapped off so welded an old pair of multi grips to it and smashed them with a hammer finally got the thing cracked then had to smash the multi grips off so I could spin it to get it out 30 min oil change turned into 4 hour oil change haha

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
One thing not suggested yet is the opposite of heating, use a freeze release pressure pack. Spray on nuts they shrink they come off. . . The car. (I know its a bolt but it sounded funnier) Personally I'd go the stilsons or monkey wrench depending whether you wear thongs or flipflops.