Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RUN41T's new system

RUN41T

Go forth and modify
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 Vb Sle
Hey guys thought i would share with you my new stereo setup for the ss. Didnt want a Sq car or a spl monster just a nice sounding system for cruising. I ran focal speakers in my last car which i felt where a bit too sharp so i went and had a listen to a few sets of splits and felt the type r tweets where nice and warm, and i managed to work out a deal with a mate at OFE to throw in some type x drivers instead of the r's. They will be hi passed at around the 100hz area, Any thoughts on this?

The Gear:
Source: Factory 6 stacker
Front: Alpine Splits, typeX drivers with typeR tweets and xovers
Rear: Alpine typeR 6" coax (Just for fill)
Amp: Alpine PDX5 5channel amp
Sub: 2x Pioneer 307 12" subs in Pioneer box.
LOC: Stinger loc
Wiring: DNA
S/D: Dynamat extreme

Will post pics soon, Have to hand it to the little PDX, i was a bit sceptical about it being able to drive the 2 sets of speakers and 2 subs but it does it very well, It is birthed at 4x102rms and 1x 402rms wich i think is incredible from an amp with such a small footprint.

Cheers
Garrett

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
That amp isn't overly well matched to the setup? The 4 speakers are ok getting 75wrms each, thats not too far below their nominal power but the subs are 400wrms each. So a total of 800wrms and only being fed 300wrms and Alpines amp ratings are at 14.4V so it would be less than the 300wrms in normal running conditions.

Any reason you chose the Type R tweeters and cross overs instead of a full Type X setup?

RUN41T

Go forth and modify
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 Vb Sle
That amp isn't overly well matched to the setup? The 4 speakers are ok getting 75wrms each, thats not too far below their nominal power but the subs are 400wrms each. So a total of 800wrms and only being fed 300wrms and Alpines amp ratings are at 14.4V so it would be less than the 300wrms in normal running conditions.

Any reason you chose the Type R tweeters and cross overs instead of a full Type X setup?

The speakers have a bit of headroom and they are high passed anyway. i didnt want to run 2 amps just a single one under the passenger seat. The amp suits my needs perfectly. The amp is underated on the spec sheet as the birthsheet reads 102x4 and 1x402, but as you said this is at 14.5V

The subs are underpowered but they are fairly sensitive, thats why i chose 307's as apposed to type R. I was going to run a single 307 off the sub channel but as i am mates with the owner at OFE he let me have the dual box for the same price, so in reality i have the same amount of power running to the subs but now have 24" of cone area.

I managed to get the type x drivers thrown in for the same price as a type r set, because they didnt fit in a customers car so they had to run type r woofers instead. The typex drivers have a very large basket and dont fit in a lot of cars as they foul on the windows.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
the same amount of power running to the subs but now have 24" of cone area.
little bit more than 24 inch of cone area.....

Also, why did you start this thread? there is currently a My Ride thread at the top of the page...

RUN41T

Go forth and modify
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 Vb Sle
little bit more than 24 inch of cone area.....

Also, why did you start this thread? there is currently a My Ride thread at the top of the page...

Ahh ****, didnt even see it... my bad:bang:

There's a question in itself, is running 2 subs of the same type off the same power better(for spl) than running a single? Keeping in mind the amp makes the same power at both 2 and 4ohm

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Yes, in theory, 2 times cone area with same power gives a 3dB increase.

Example (same model subs, you interested in the bold);
1 sub with 400W = 110dB
1 sub with 800W = 113dB
2 subs with 400W = 113dB
2 subs with 800W = 116dB

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
how come you went with the pioneer 307s? Sure they're a good entry level sub but the rest of your gear certainly isn't entry level.

Love the look of the pdx's btw. Good choice! (Haven't heard one in the flesh unfortunately)

Is a +3dB increase equivalent to twice the perceived volume or am I getting my facts mixed up?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
+3dB is achieved with twice the input power.
+10dB is twice perceived loudness.

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/dB.html said:
Experimentally it was found that a 10 dB increase in sound level corresponds approximately to a perceived doubling of loudness.

RUN41T

Go forth and modify
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 Vb Sle
how come you went with the pioneer 307s? Sure they're a good entry level sub but the rest of your gear certainly isn't entry level.

Love the look of the pdx's btw. Good choice! (Haven't heard one in the flesh unfortunately)

Is a +3dB increase equivalent to twice the perceived volume or am I getting my facts mixed up?

Yeah, the 307s are just good value, and i didnt have the power on tap to power anything better. I may get myself a Nice quater box and a Boston G2 in future. Impulse buy i guess :wax: