Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running E85

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
I've been running E85 exclusively for about 6-8 years in my L77. When I got it tuned the tuner said it was about 10Kw more than they normally see..
I've been paying $2.20 /L for a few years now.
Maybe I'm a bit obsessive but I feel good coz locally produced, renewable, less pollution, it seems to keep engine and exhaust really clean, extra 10Kw, AND, most importantly, it smells good!!

Fallsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon
What's the power gain between 98 and e85 on a N/A LS? Reason I ask, it is considerably more expensive to run a car on e85. You're at around $2.20ish per litre then approx 30% higher fuel consumption on-top of that.
In my car (blown l77) the difference is nearly 100hp. On the dyno it showed 705hp on 98, 785hp on e60, so guesstimating 800hp on e85. In a boosted engine it’s fantastic!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
In my car (blown l77) the difference is nearly 100hp. On the dyno it showed 705hp on 98, 785hp on e60, so guesstimating 800hp on e85. In a boosted engine it’s fantastic!
Wow, as a person who doesn't know a lot about how superchargers get installed on modern V8's, that's a helluva lot more than I expected!
Is it intercooled?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
anything over e30 is just adding to cooling, and wont really make more power unless the cooling is needed, same with mine i gained 80 rwhp with no changes to anything except the petrol to e85, ethanol adds air and makes more energy at the same lambda as petrol, petrol atomizes which removes heat but ethanol vaporizes making a much better cooling affect

Fallsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon
Wow, as a person who doesn't know a lot about how superchargers get installed on modern V8's, that's a helluva lot more than I expected!
Is it intercooled?
Yep, on a hub dyno and way more than i expected too! Intercooled with a 12l coolant reservoir to help keep it cool. Though it is looking like I’ve done a lifter…the tune is def pushing the old l77 to its limits

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
Yep, on a hub dyno and way more than i expected too! Intercooled with a 12l coolant reservoir to help keep it cool. Though it is looking like I’ve done a lifter…the tune is def pushing the old l77 to its limits
Manual trans? What fuel system are you running? Cheers

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i highly recommend johnson lifters if ur needing to replace yours, they cost a bit but they are the best

Fallsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon
i highly recommend johnson lifters if ur needing to replace yours, they cost a bit but they are the best
Thanks for the tip. I’m currently looking at doing Dart block with forged internals good for 1500; so we can really turn it up in the future!