Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running out of solutions...

DjYalla

Reaction score
Members Ride
battler Vn is Battling
You really need to see what your 02 sensors are reading in different throttle/load conditions. Plug a Scanner into it and take it for a drive. I have seen and ecu problem running one bank leaner than the other before.

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
Put heaps of work & $ into the 1995 VS ive recently bought, but am still losing fuel at a rate i not comfortable with grrr

So far ive given it...

# 2 new oxygen sensors
# new fuel filter
# new spark plugs
# new fanbelt
# new passenger side exhaust manifold (which has a leak)
# new battery terminals
# 2 new rocker cover gaskets
# I removed the throttle body (cleaned out the gunk)
# Cleaned the IAC
# I degreased the plenum chamber
# Put in a new Lukey air filter
# Gave it a full transmission service (filters/fluid)
# new oil & oil filter
# THERE ARE NO ERROR CODES

I understand its a 3.8 litre, but its like im driving a V8 statesman

Generally $40 of petrol gives me 26 litres lately. With this im getting about 250km of driving,

which means 1 litre is gives me less than 10 km

excluding wheel alignment....

What else on this car could I check and fix to get my fuel up to about 12-13km per litre?? :cry:

Thanks for any help

Mate as has been said thats about normal. Its a v6 not a 4 banger or diesel remember. You want to get better than that it will be highway driving only or possibly a block of wood under the accelerator peddal, lol. My old vs 5spd was about that. Would go into the 8-9L/100km only on highway.

Just as a comparison my 355 stroker is averaging 20L/100km in traffic that would be like 130km from your 26L petrol. Why? Because its too tempting to give it a squirt (to get the nice v8 sound) every time you take off from the lights. If i drove it like a nanna it would consume a lot less. Point being, take it easy on the gas, keep it to highway duties if you can and enjoy cruising around in it. They are not a cheap car to run by todays standards.

wod300

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Berlina Supercharged 3.8
That economy sounds pretty good. But if you want to keep looking, have you checked the fuel regulator?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
That economy sounds pretty good. But if you want to keep looking, have you checked the fuel regulator?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
Boys all terrific responses, im just certain im still losing fuel excessively

40% of my driving is on an expressway in adelaide, the rest is city driving

I just dont like that if im simply goin down shops locally, im gonna lose up to 10 litres of fuel

Wod300 this what im after, where is the fuel regulator? Ive also heard the coolant sensor could be a faultly area, wheres that and are both something I could clean at home

What determines the amount of fuel, when I push the accellorator?

Ive noticed my accellorator cable on the throttle body is lacking tension, should the cable be firm, cos maybe this is causing an issue I got where I push the pedal hard, but the car doesnt respond instantly, it delays and then shoots off

Today I drove about 50kms to a footy game, left the car for about 2 hours, came back to find that my overflow pipe decided to spit out a litre of coolant all over the road, what the hell?

Also, my missus tells me that when I accellorate, the exhaust coffs out heavy thick white exhaust, but not so when idling

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
UH ohhh white smoke normally means coolants burning... inlet gasket gone or head gasket ....most likely inlet

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
Boys all terrific responses, im just certain im still losing fuel excessively

40% of my driving is on an expressway in adelaide, the rest is city driving

I just dont like that if im simply goin down shops locally, im gonna lose up to 10 litres of fuel

Wod300 this what im after, where is the fuel regulator? Ive also heard the coolant sensor could be a faultly area, wheres that and are both something I could clean at home

What determines the amount of fuel, when I push the accellorator?

Ive noticed my accellorator cable on the throttle body is lacking tension, should the cable be firm, cos maybe this is causing an issue I got where I push the pedal hard, but the car doesnt respond instantly, it delays and then shoots off

Today I drove about 50kms to a footy game, left the car for about 2 hours, came back to find that my overflow pipe decided to spit out a litre of coolant all over the road, what the hell?

Also, my missus tells me that when I accellorate, the exhaust coffs out heavy thick white exhaust, but not so when idling

Ok..... If u wana check you fuel reg, on the end of the fuel rail u will see a valve with a small hose which leads back to the manifold. If its stuffed u will smell fuel from this. if the diaphram inside the valve is rooted fuel will be pouring fuel into this hose which is a vac hose. From my research if they go they use a lot more fuel, like as in the amount my car uses but for v6 not a worked 355!

As for smoke, not sure. Was it the engine at opperating temp? How heavy was your 'Acceleration'? The main product of combustion is water vapour remember, if u give the thing an abolute boot full you will aleays see a puff of smoke/steam.

With your overflow spirting out, how full was your overflow bottle? Was it to the brim or the full line? If it was to the brim they will always blow out. If not, check your radiator cap, and keep an eye on ypur temp gauge, maybe your thermostat is sticking but i doubt it as if they stick shut your temp gauge would go into the red.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
UH ohhh white smoke normally means coolants burning... inlet gasket gone or head gasket ....most likely inlet

wow your sharp as an axe there mate, have fluid on top of the inlet manifold, and have known the gasket does need changing, but didnt know its the cause of the white smoke, thanks champ great work

BUT geeze what a hell of a job it is to change...
Replace the inlet gasket manifoldl

plus he's using the alum gaskets and theyre about $120 bucks geeze :hmmm:

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Ok..... If u wana check you fuel reg, on the end of the fuel rail u will see a valve with a small hose which leads back to the manifold. If its stuffed u will smell fuel from this. if the diaphram inside the valve is rooted fuel will be pouring fuel into this hose which is a vac hose. From my research if they go they use a lot more fuel, like as in the amount my car uses but for v6 not a worked 355!

As for smoke, not sure. Was it the engine at opperating temp? How heavy was your 'Acceleration'? The main product of combustion is water vapour remember, if u give the thing an abolute boot full you will aleays see a puff of smoke/steam.

With your overflow spirting out, how full was your overflow bottle? Was it to the brim or the full line? If it was to the brim they will always blow out. If not, check your radiator cap, and keep an eye on ypur temp gauge, maybe your thermostat is sticking but i doubt it as if they stick shut your temp gauge would go into the red.

oh its that coffee machine looking thing :) they looked pretty expensive on ebay too, are fuel regulators cleanable instead hmmmm :)

with the overflow, the reservoir was normal full on the line. My temp guarge rarely goes higher than the first marker, its very impressive. i found a split in a hose under the throttle body that connects to the inlet manifold, this im sure is giving me unsettled temp issues, but to see my whole resevior bare empty after one drive, im in shock.

does anyone know why if you accelaorate hard, why the VS wont instantly respond to the request? My old VL would zip into speed upon touching pedal, but this VS delays, i push the pedal but the car doesnt take off instantly, its like its snoozing and needs a nudge?

VS-THE-BEST

Reaction score
Members Ride
97VS HSV CLUBSPORT
Not sure but that seems a little high to me!! My 97Clubby 308 averages 9 or 10 per 100 on the Highway.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
10l per 100 seems about right.

have you thought of maybe getting someone to do a bit of a tune to it make it use a bit less fuel or similar?
or do a datalog and get one of those fellas to have a look at it to see where they could improve it.