Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] Huge overhaul for young drivers

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
i stand by my opinion:

get rid of asian testers
make tests harder
remove any chance of cash payments for immediate "passes"

/problem

Asians teaching asians. Not to be completely racist, but it scares me. Parents teaching their kids should be changed as well.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Put it this way, if you're going to drive like a retard, you're going to drive like a retard.

I could do 5000 hours of intensive physical and mental testing, and at the end of it, know how to take apart a car and put it back together while hanging upside down, blindfolded & getting beaten by soap in a pillowcase, but if I still want to drive like a tard, I would.

Like, it's good, but let's face it, people will speed/drive like tools, it's in some people's nature.

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
Asians teaching asians. Not to be completely racist, but it scares me. Parents teaching their kids should be changed as well.

they should have a better system, but if they do that they would have to eliminate the 120 hour rule.
which i think 100 is fine, ####, even 80.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
they should have a better system, but if they do that they would have to eliminate the 120 hour rule.
which i think 100 is fine, ####, even 80.

No. Dont reduce the hours.

You must have a certain ratio of paid licensed driving tests. Like... 80% actual driver instruction. So many bad habits and parents who dont know what the #### they are on about passing on their "knowledge".

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
Its not “fair” because like all laws it punishes the majority for the transgressions of the relative few. That said I don’t disagree with some elements.

PASSENGER restrictions for all P1 drivers allowing no more than one passenger aged under 21 for the duration of their P1 licence. Exemptions will be made for immediate family and employment. Tick.

RESTRICTIONS on driving between midnight and 5 am for all P1 drivers. Exemptions will be made for work. Tick. Although it kinda reeks of curfew.

RAISING the minimum age for a provisional licence from 17 to 18 years, meaning drivers cannot drive solo until they are at least 18 years of age.
Age isn’t really the issue here. A 17 year old idiot will still be an idiot at 18 and a few years more.

EXTENDING the total minimum L-plate period from two to three years. I don’t know what that means.

Thing is the major problem is young boys driving to pose or street racing. Young girls are dangerous for different reasons, generally inattentiveness but they don’t generally drive and the extreme speeds as boys. And they are less inclined to try to impress with their awesome car control skills.
The test should be extended to include practical accident avoidance. Problem is the cost.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
I think its pretty stupid. It just delays the inevitable. 17 year olds don't crash and kill people 17 year old retards do, they will just grow into 18 year old retards.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
i definatley think they should make it harder to get a licence, make them do a defensive driving course as already mentioned .. i remember years ago when i got mine ,i couldnt drive for **** and they still gave me a licence. being a good driver comes with practice and lots of it. but there will always be young tards on the road they will never stop that.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
Tom Kenyon is my local representative and I know him personally and i'm regretting voting for him.

Before new legislation is introduced I'd like it proven the last lot had any affect... when they introduced the high powered restrictions.... I want to see their evidence that backs up that this had any effect.

I'm planning on having a few words with him over this and asking him where he's getting his statistics from and if he's looked into it.

Ive been living in qld and nsw for the last two months.... they have tighter laws then us and they have had NO effect.

When I was in highschool I went to one which had some of the highest road fatalities for P platers, a bright teacher came up with a drivers education course which was mainly theory but taught you road dangers, condition dangers, how to get out of dangerous situations, how to prevent them and most importantly SURVIVE them.

I think i've said it time and time again on here, doing this course in high school gave me a lot of skills that when I have been in situations which required these skills i've had them.

Many others who have done this course at banksia park and at birdwood high can vouch for it.

The state government has next to no interest in getting this course into every school, when the teacher retired.... they openly said to him, now that you arent running it we're not interested in training someone else to do it.

So why is the state government shunning a course, not wanting to fund it or spread it around that helps young drivers.

Drivers education needs to be a MANDATORY subject as part of a sace certificate, and they need to introduce a first aid certificate as part of this course. You do this I swear to god it will pay for it more in the long run then tightening laws.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
I think this is stupid and what needs to be done is restrict the types of vehicles they are driving and mandatory defensive driving courses e.g. skid pan to control a vehicle in an emergency situation.
I think the biggest problem is that when these kids get cut off or similar they slam the foot down on the brake pedal and become passengers themselves because they have never locked up the wheels in a car and have no idea what to expect or do.

it is good to see most of the public are sensible about this and are AGAINST these restrictions and more for education.
read some of the comments.

Tough lincencing overhaul for South Australia's young drivers | Adelaide Now

Last edited: