Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] new high performance law. and tint

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
ok sick of all the people whining about people whining about people whining about the laws.

Fact - the idea itself is good,
Fact - in all the states its been implimented its been done poorly, hoons still hoon in crap cars and kill themselves, many cars are banned with illegitimate reasons, safer cars are banned, and kids are getting behind the wheels of worse cars just because they are unrestricted. Knew someone in syd who was banned from driving his dads falcon, only other car he could get was a daewoo lanos. Nearly died in a small collision involving someone else hitting him, if he was in the falcon he wouldnt be in a wheelchair right now.

Fact - these departments come up with things like this to make it look like they are doing their jobs... if this was legitimate, there would be very good, solid research behind it, not just citing today tonight reports and studies that just bash the youth with data that has been proven incorrect.

Yes young drivers are inexperienced. Thats like when i got my job at optus.... they dazzle you by saying things like did you know there are more mobile phones in australia then people?

its just a dazzle fact of stating the obvious.... and hoping you make insintuations off it.

Im all for getting dumb kids out of wrx's and lancers... this isnt the way to do it.. why...

When i was over in syd.... they still had them..... they all went and got exemptions with bs excuses or just drove them anyway, unregistered etc, creating a worse situation.

All of this has not been thought through very well at all, in the end its the end users fault, the person who screws up who kills someone.... prevention is good... but it needs to be done properly.

Fact - the police arent always friendly, im not on the bashing police bandwagon, a few of my mates are cops and they ARE arrogant tools who love defecting people with their favourite thing to do is book or defect soemone just by making something up. This isnt all cops... but there are a lot of cops out there like this, I keep being reminded by them what they could do me for... my cars legal.

They did a guy in on his brand new factory VE for it being too low... they couldnt prove it but being cops they still regency'd the guy and made him pay his money to go and get it cleared and had a laugh about it.

I had a cop interstate stop me me after I got ran off the road by a truck and help me repair my car instead of defecting or fining me. Theres good and theirs bad. Interstate I have already witnessed police exploiting these laws.

Watched a female cop defect a guys car for him being a p plater, him asking how the car was illegal for him to drive, she kept citing it was a performance car.... after arguing with her for 5 minutes she says its a v8
he points at his engine and asks where hte other 2 cylanders are.

Im not looking forward to how this is going to be implimented.. I've been told by some the new laws arent going to apply to me but my cars modified.... its not gonna be like i can prove to a cop it was modified before the date, so im looking at getting trouble from them already if i do get exempt from the car resrictions, im still going to get hitup constantly for my catback, extractors & LPG mods (which had to be done to it and cant be reversed or I lose lpg, something to do with a lock fail, which had to be fixed up with a performance mod of some description).

I cant see any good of this... that crash that happened at mount pleasant in a non perfromance car.... after these laws are introduced.... we're still going to be seeing it

Holy cow what a post! And i totally agree

XST80

Cubic inches or gtfo.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman S2 5L
You've just contradicted yourself. That's what experience is. :hmmm:

No, I said you need to know how to control your car.

You don't need experience to do that.

I can control my car, but as a P plater I wouldn't say I have much experience.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
No, I said you need to know how to control your car.

You don't need experience to do that.

Oh I beg to differ. What do you classify as 'contolling your car'? Sitting on 60km/h in a 60 zone or 110km/h on the freeway? Being able to drive around a round-about without spinning out?
As you stated in your earlier post "you need to be able to handle it, and if worse comes to worse, try to manage not to crash if you get the thing out of line". Would you instinctively know how to react and know what to do in any unfortunate mishap on the road? I'm betting you wouldn't (not so much YOU in particular, but young drivers in general). By experiencing a range of 'near hits/misses' and just spending time on the road in general, you'll be much more equipped with knowledge to handle different situations.

Mr_Clubsport

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
apparently they only allowing peopel over 50 to drive the same as L/P platers :)

damankerrison09

Blue 87 VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VL SL
I think its kinda funny how alot of the people say oh yeh its finally about time we get these restriction laws you p platers need to just get over it RA RA RA.. But the truth is, If in "your day" The government decided to restrict what you drove you would be just as pissed as alot of p platers are..

I mean ok people do stupid things in high powered cars, but people do stupid things in non high powerd cars, IE Myself, i have done ringy's in a gemini, a ****ING GEMINI! It makes a whole of 40 kilowats at the wheels, but thats still "hooning" BUT i could have easily injured myself in that car doin that as a could have in a 450 RWKW skyline doin the same thing!

Its like saying if someone who is say 40 maybe 50 years old, they say oh its about time u learnt how to use the raod correctly, But some of the story's that come out of the older generations.. Like people who had GT falcons, Monaros, XU1's & all them sorts of cars.. imagine what they would have said if they were told they couldnt own or drive there beloved cars?

A high powered car in the eastern states is a car with a power the wieght rations of 125 KW per ton, now thats easily achieved by a VL turbo? Or a 2009 VE sv6, But that high power VE sv6 is aberrantly one of the safest cars in australia to drive? But no there not allowed to drive it, because its "high powered" but yet its still safer than the 107 KW to ton VN V6 Clanger..

Now i mean i drive a VL and a gemmy, neither of which will be taken away from me when these new laws come in, but ive been driving now for 2 years, im not saying thats a long time im not saying its not a long time.. But why should i have my right to own or drive a v8, or a turbo car taken away because some other f**kwit has crashed his "high powered" on the roads somewhere?

Yes i lost my license for doin 119 in a 110 zone and this was unsafe and my own fault, but how can you say that my driving experience isnt enough to own a V8 when if i didnt lose my license i would have been on my full license over 6 months ago and completely fine to drive a V8 or turbo car?

That magical plate in my front and back wndow changes so much, from the right to lower my car or put and exhaust on it.. to my right to drive around with a car full of people. and now my right to own the car of my choice!

I recon its f****d!

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
I've been annoyed by our polly's and pencil pushers putting this stuff in, especially in election years, as theres nothing to make the elderly and others support you by putting laws out against stereotypes they hate.

Dont believe me? children overboard anyone? SA's famous 'anti bikey' laws which a lotta people failed to question what hte laws actually involved (only to find out there were a lot of things in there that had nothing to do with bikeys).

We all know that once these laws pass.. we're still gonna have today tonight bashing p platers..... hell when i was over in sydney where this whole mess started... turn on the tv.... current affair bashing p platers and showing stock footage of someone in a wrx doing burnouts and talking about tightening the laws.

Right now the real question is..... we're meant to be in a democracy...... how do we challenge this and actually get somewhere about it?

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
its just like in the NT they changed the law with the speed limit to reduce the road toll because there was no speed limit on the open road but now its something like 130 and the road toll has increased.... lol

Thats likely because before the 'open speed limit' basically just ment, drive to conditions and what you feel comfortable with, and those roads are open, meaning gravel roads most the time, an then 'one way' sized tarmac where you have to go half on half off. Most ppl just drove 110-120 along there and most good drivers slowed down for alot of stuff. Like I said, drive to conditions. I was lucky enough, living in the North for 13yrs of my life to drive on the open speed limit a couple of times, an sure, I know of stories of ppl doing 230+ on those roads. But now everyone thinks that 130kmph is safe on those roads an they'll "stick to it" (I use that term loosely, as we all know alot of ppl tend to drive 10-20kms over this limit becuase they know the roads guys wouldnt make a speed limit on the roads thresh hold of safety) and hence you generally will have all groups of ppl doing an even greater speed limit than what was usually seen before. IMO I thnk they should have left it as is. But can't do much about it. So ya just gotta go with it.

And as for not alowed to drive V8 engines. I suppose the previous comment on how an old V8 puts out less then a new V6 is 100% valid. But then I suppose their is a torque difference aswell as SIDI dont got much there, but then in saying that then why dont they say no to 4x4's. Haha... It will be an ongoing debate for all of time.

I think just put up with it for a few years. That'll give u enough time to save up for the car you want when you finish up on your P's.

Any how, thats just my 2cents

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
was gonna add earlier but i hate double posting.

I spoke to duncan and bashir about it (one of their lawyers shops at my work as ive mentioned before), he reckons the state doing this isnt legal, but they are doing this anyawy. ive had a lot to drink tnight just sobering up after a 20th.

even heard people saying its a ploy to snag the eldery/dumbass that thinks they are smart vote for the upcoming election, claiming to keep hoons of hte road etc crap.

I've been tryna get answers to convert my license to qld as im planning to move their soon and being told that as my license has been issued for 3 years, and its not allowed to be modified in anyway that transport SA wish to have my license converted to a lower grade (so i cant drive at night or drive my car in qld).

So take from that my license as stated by transport SA is to stay as is with no modification whatsoever.

Have also been told p platers in nsw, vic and qld who held there license while this was implimented there were exempt from the changeover unless their license was reissued.

so this shouldnt affect any current p platers.

Was onl the phone to transport SA yesterday askign about hte laws, trying to get more info for rthe conversion when i asked how the laws were being implimented here. was told that all current p platers were expected to stop driving v8's or turbos as of july 1. I asked when we were being sent letters to let us know this as there has been limited info. was told we will be sent letters.

And some will qualify for exemptions if they need it for work or if its the only car. This strikes me as complete crap. I ask why its affecting current p platers. I am not given an answer. I then tell them about my car and how its modified and stuff and that they have told me they count my lpg as a performance mod, im told a note will be placed on my file so if im pulled over a cop will be able to pull info that my car has been listed for an exemption. So i know im now gonna be pulled over a lot more.

I then ask.... well I've been told that my license isnt allowed to be modified until 2011. So why do these new laws effect me after I have been told by you, that my license cant be modded.

Left with a pretty much '**** happens, sucks to be you' response.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
:boohoo: If you're not doing anything wrong they shouldn't be an issue.

You're right in that they shouldn't be.. The fact is that P plates have always been an excuse for police power plays. Even back when I had P's in 1970's cops picked on 'em. I was amazed at the respect I got from police as I got older.

Now I drive a lowered SS VR, not a standard car, and never get pulled. If one of my son's drove the car with P's, they can't so it's rhetorical, you know they'd bear the brunt of the cops..

Fact is police do pick on young people, always have. They don't have the same power or knowledge older people do and are easy targets. Society all too often lends credence to the argument young people are stupid and less than the rest(older) as people.

I disagree.

edit:
Oh, and to WildVS2's +1, sick of people who are like cops are assholes, fkn pigs etc.

Not all. No.. Generally speaking they are.. I'd spell it arseholes though.. Anyone that has an "us and them" mentality is, and cops do.

Last edited:

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
well guys. im not one to bitch and moan for the sake of it.

What can we do to challenge this?.. back in school you sussed out what was a powerplay and when they were trying to teach you something. and you dealt with it accordingly.

Out in the real world.... its hard to see where the lines are sometimes and what you can do about it.

Our local mp's arent too interested in it... our local guy is worried about being re-elected... and as this is a topic that is easily swayed for votes. I dont think asking hte mp's for help will do anything.

What can we do to challenge this?