Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sandmans' VC SL

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
yeah they call it acc, but its not. as i wrote, the coil is engaged when in acc mode, i call that "ignition". "acc" is when your radio and cig lighter are live and nothing else.

Dunno about the commodores (I assume they're the same) but I fitted a wb steering column and dash loom to my ute, and turning the key back towards you only gives power to the radio and cgi lighter socket

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
yeah they call it acc, but its not. as i wrote, the coil is engaged when in acc mode, i call that "ignition". "acc" is when your radio and cig lighter are live and nothing else.

where did you get that info from ?
I just checked the factory VH wiring diagram and it indicates that accessories doesn't power the coil
Just to double check, I've just put the volt meter on the VH, on accessories and no power to the coil.... Only with ignition 'on' or 'start'

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Ari's VK was "different". Trust me, I know. lol

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My 2c worth over the wiring...At the ignition switch, the thick pink wire has power without the switch being turned on....the pink wire goes into 2 pins, with another pink wire joining the 2....

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Ok so to avoid lots of quotes here goes.

Re headunits, I chucked the multimeter on to find what had power when and went from there, haven't made any progress since the weekend but fingers crossed everything should start up fine. Fitment wise there seems to be enough room once I removed the mounting cage off the unit, it seems to be in far enough too, I'll have to knock something up to secure the unit in there but that shouldn't be too hard. Grafting an old face on will be another challenge again but I'll deal with that once I get a unit to chop up.

Diff wise I already have the borgy from a VS, though I just had an oh **** moment as is from a ute so will have to suss out the shock mounts before I go any further with that to make sure I can make it fit.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
i got that "info" from a test light on my coil.
then i got further "info" from a multimeter on the ignition switch itself.

im not new to wiring mate. if it had an acc wire, i wouldve found it.

Just to clear the air, I wasn't having a shot at you, it was a genuine question...
The fact that you seemed so certain that the early models (rather than just your own car) didn't have a proper accessories mode, suggested to me you had seen some sort of wiring diagram that indicated as such. If I didn't think you had any idea, I would have said so, that's why I asked the question

Last edited:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Ok so to avoid lots of quotes here goes.

Re headunits, I chucked the multimeter on to find what had power when and went from there, haven't made any progress since the weekend but fingers crossed everything should start up fine. Fitment wise there seems to be enough room once I removed the mounting cage off the unit, it seems to be in far enough too, I'll have to knock something up to secure the unit in there but that shouldn't be too hard. Grafting an old face on will be another challenge again but I'll deal with that once I get a unit to chop up.

Diff wise I already have the borgy from a VS, though I just had an oh **** moment as is from a ute so will have to suss out the shock mounts before I go any further with that to make sure I can make it fit.

yeah shock mounts on a ute are the same as a wagon. It's possible to cut them off and swap them over for your sedan mounts, but need to make sure you fit them back in the correct position or you are going to damage your shocks. Also the VN-VS diffs are quite a bit wider than a VB-VL, so less clearance for wider wheels/tyres.

I had to remove the cage on my head unit too, certainly made it an easier fit. But they certainly weren't built with aftermarket head units in mind...

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Just to clear the air, I wasn't having a shot at you, it was a genuine question...

lol, sorry if i got narky, its a bit of a sore spot:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vk-vz-stereo-wiring-colours.14909#post1112575

raised the question in 2009, never got an answer, never got a diagram to show the circuit, just always believed there was no wire.

its not for a lack of trying. i dont doubt that it works, cos' i had a HJ that you turned the ignition backwards and it just made the radio work, but this VK drove me INSANE for months trying to find it.