Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sandmans VZ Maloo R8

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Coolant on the ground would suggest so, opposite side to the overflow too.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Small hole or crack in the radiator?

What about a faulty cap and the reservoir is overflowing onto the drive?
Then again, coolant would be getting drawn in as it cooled and it would be on the right of the car, not under the radiator.

What a pain.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
That's what I was thinking, but there was no signs of it even with the engine running. Come home from work today so see a second spot on the floor though that didn't tell a lot as its just run off the undertray. What was telling though was coolant sitting on top of the bottom radiator hose and on the tabs for the shroud, no marks of exactly where its come from but this leads me to either the cap or one of the vent hoses. The vent hose that leads to the valley was slightly more moist than the one to the overflow (which was bone dry) so those are my starting points. The hose has been a litte damaged on the outside from the hose clamp but no holes or cracks. I've cleaned up all the marks again now and will grab a cap on the way home from work and order a new hose. The GM part number for anyones refernce is 92158006 or Gates replacement is 02-1183. Although I'm not 100% sure either is the problem I'll be able to fit them on different days and see what works and I figure no harm in replacing a 20 year old hose, I guess this is the wonders of dailying a 20 year old car now. I adjusted the hose clamp on the hose too, so will be interesting if that makes a difference or if its still dropping coolant come tomorrow arvo.

I know this is pretty boring stuff, but hopefully explaining my methodology may help someone else one day having a similar issue.

Big mess on the bottom hose, obviously falled down from above somewhere
6IJsXb8.jpg

Similar story on the upper radiator shroud tab, indicating the drama is still upwards.
gvGir3m.jpg

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
So we are no longer leaking coolant, not entirely sure on the exact cause but between the new cap and adjusting the rubber bung on the end tank its no longer leaking and back to normal once again. The bung I must of tweaked when putting the fan shroud back in, but not enough for it to be visually noticeable.