Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seized engine??!!! VF SS II

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
UPDATE: AWN called me this morning and said they’re happy to give me $4000 towards the replacement engine. I mentioned to them that the mechanics quote and report made me suss and if I can get a second opinion from my own mechanic, they said that’s okay and theyll still pay the 4K. My mechanic is actually a close family friend of 20 years so I’ve asked him to get me a quote and we’ll see what it comes too

I’ll keep you all updated

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
Hi Henry
Whats your budget for a replacement engine?
I wouldn’t really want to go higher than 10-15 tbh. The whole experience has made me a bit put off from holdens so ideally I’d wanna sell it once it’s repaired

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I wouldn’t really want to go higher than 10-15 tbh. The whole experience has made me a bit put off from holdens so ideally I’d wanna sell it once it’s repaired
Just drop a good used motor in. Get it from the wreckers. There is usually some form of warranty? No warranty no buy.
You want it to last longer, for the person who is buying it.

Out of curiosity, you don't have a young son or daughter, who got hold the car, & flogged the crap out of it while you weren't looking?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
need to take the heads off to see if its just a bottom end issue or if it hurt the heads as well as that will change the cost of a rebuild, 10-15k is alot for a n/a build if u can get a good used block will save u alot and all machine work has to be done either way new or used block, but if u have to do heads as well then the 10-15k starts to run out

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
Just drop a good used motor in. Get it from the wreckers. There is usually some form of warranty? No warranty no buy.
You want it to last longer, for the person who is buying it.

Out of curiosity, you don't have a young son or daughter, who got hold the car, & flogged the crap out of it while you weren't looking?
Haha nah, I don’t even let anyone else in my family drive it! It only travelled about 4000k last year

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Haha nah, I don’t even let anyone else in my family drive it! It only travelled about 4000k last year
They sneak it out? Do you check how many km its done when parked for day, then check the km the next time you use it?
I'm only kidding. I used to sneak my old mans ute out when l was a teenager. (No l never got caught. But l used to sneak the truck out too (3 ton ford) . I got caught on that one, only by my father. no trouble). I figure if l can have these ideas, maybe somebody else can too?

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I made a claim for an alternator only a few months after I purchased the car, I thought it was a dead battery but after replacing the battery it still wouldn’t keep charge.

As for the engine bits, there was nothing on the floor in my carpark, nothing on the tow truck, when nrma came out he used a socket to turn the crankshaft and it went left and right by 1cm, that’s when he made the observation it’s seized. I literally got underneath my car to observe the starter motor as I thought that was the issue, so I would have seen something obvious, so it must’ve been maybe on top of that plastic cover as I never removed that.

The sump was still at the full line of oil when it got towed because the towie himself checked it as well and even said there is no way your engine is seized. But here I am in a confusing situation.

AWN should be getting back to me tommorow, depending on their decision, I will either get it towed to Holden or to a better known mechanic who can actually take it apart

I even started considering hydrolock? But surely not
There was a recent thread on here where it was proven that the mechanic continuously moved a car with a damaged engine which possibly resulted in further damage.
If there was no evidence of leaking oil initially or apparent damage to the engine other than what you have described, is it possible that your mechanic has started the engine causing a catastrophic event leading to the damage which now seems a lot more significant?
Just saying.