Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seized engine??!!! VF SS II

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
UPDATE: Ok so my family friend had a look at the car and the other mechanics report. Basically he’s saying Holden will look at it purely because they’ll charge me diagnosing fees, and only a slim chance that they’ll turn around and actual replace it for free.

He said he has one contact who is willing to take the engine and recondition to brand new, but based on that I’m looking around 20k. He mentioned one wrecker got back to him who has an ls3 with 40,000ks on it and is willing to sell for 15k, he’ll charge me 2k labor, so I’m looking 17k (13k after reimbursement from AWN)

Other option is I wait to hear from fair trading, but like others posted above, GM/Holden has the money to splash to defend them, I don’t want to pay more on top of what I have too.

Based on this, I’m going to give it till the end of the week to see if I hear back from fair trading or the dealer, then make a decision based on that.
I'd be putting a small deposit on that 40,000km LS3 for 15k to ensure it doesn't slip through your fingers. Sounds like a good option to get your SS back on the road.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
one wrecker got back to him who has an ls3 with 40,000ks on it and is willing to sell for 15k, he’ll charge me 2k labor, so I’m looking 17k (13k after reimbursement from AWN)
I'd take this one now before its gone.

If this was my situation & l waited to the end of the week, & l didn't hear from fair trading & decided to buy the 40K km engine. It would be gone, & only sh#t motors for $20k would be available?

So, my advice, would be buy the 40 Kkm engine, have it fitted & sell it. You may sell it for a good price.

But then this problem would be solved & you can move on to other things. Only my opinion.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Does fixing the car and paying out of your own pocket precluded further action later to recover costs?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Does fixing the car and paying out of your own pocket precluded further action later to recover costs?
In simple terms ACL does allow one to repair a defective product if the seller can't or wont examine the defect within a reasonable timeframe. One can then bill the seller after the fact. But it's always best to talk to the seller before repairs are done and let them create their own problem by asking for a diagnosis fees or state that it will take some before they can look at it because of their work load... then off to someone cheaper and better and send the seller the bill.

In theory ACL provides that the selling dealer should have the opportunity to examine the defect and propse a remedy that should be completed within a reasonable timeframe. There is no provision for the seller charging a fee to do so. As such, the fact they want to charge for diagnosis, which may or may not be refundable depending on what they find which can often relate to how maleable they feel the owner is, it's my opinion that the seller looses the right to repair the defective product.

In that case so as long as things are well documented by a 3rd party workshop, on their invoice, Holden could always look at the failed engine and make their determination on that at their leassure (but i'd want to keep the old engine at the 3rd party mechanics which they are free to inspect).

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
I'd take this one now before its gone.

If this was my situation & l waited to the end of the week, & l didn't hear from fair trading & decided to buy the 40K km engine. It would be gone, & only sh#t motors for $20k would be available?

So, my advice, would be buy the 40 Kkm engine, have it fitted & sell it. You may sell it for a good price.

But then this problem would be solved & you can move on to other things. Only my opinion.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do?
I agree! I’ve sent him a message asking about condition and the engine service history etc before making a decision!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I agree! I’ve sent him a message asking about condition and the engine service history etc before making a decision!
If buying, get the donor vehicle’s vin number and the engine number listed on the purchase receipt (if it’s not automatically done these days) ;)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
UPDATE: Ok so my family friend had a look at the car and the other mechanics report. Basically he’s saying Holden will look at it purely because they’ll charge me diagnosing fees, and only a slim chance that they’ll turn around and actual replace it for free.

He said he has one contact who is willing to take the engine and recondition to brand new, but based on that I’m looking around 20k. He mentioned one wrecker got back to him who has an ls3 with 40,000ks on it and is willing to sell for 15k, he’ll charge me 2k labor, so I’m looking 17k (13k after reimbursement from AWN)

Other option is I wait to hear from fair trading, but like others posted above, GM/Holden has the money to splash to defend them, I don’t want to pay more on top of what I have too.

Based on this, I’m going to give it till the end of the week to see if I hear back from fair trading or the dealer, then make a decision based on that.

I want to see the end result of this family friends contact reconditioning your engine.....

If he can, make sure you post his details up....Everyone on here would love to know it, because they'll be indunating him with work, with him being that good

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I want to see the end result of this family friends contact reconditioning your engine.....

same!

it makes me wonder if....

img_6003x800.jpg

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
Righto, I decided to get under the car myself and this is what I saw! Looks like I’ve found an engine for $15k with 38,000kms on it. Does anyone know how that would work warranty wise? I’ve never been in a situation where I’ve had to replace an engine, I know you’re meant to report to RMS. But I just don’t wanna go through another seized engine

Attachments

• FCFF0DD3-F6D9-41CC-8CB7-5EDA65BCFF4C.jpeg
    FCFF0DD3-F6D9-41CC-8CB7-5EDA65BCFF4C.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 111