Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Selling R34 GTT for a SS?

Why

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GTT
hey all
thinking of selling my r34 gtt that i have owned for 10 years for a commodore ss, i don't know jack about commodores apart from they sound good when you give it and quiet when commuting,

My experience owning a r34 gtt is

-Attracts attention from fully sik lebs that tailgate you and wanna drag you at the lights all the time despite r34 is stock as a rock and is annoying as sh*t.
- Filling up full tank on 98 costs around $80.
-10 years owning a skyline and now getting old, i much prefer something comfortable with less attention.
-"is it a GTR?"

Many friends said im crazy for selling my skyline for a commodore but i really love them when i was small.

Wondering what you SS owner's opinion on owning a SS or SSV?

Tips you can give for buying a SS?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Most important question...
How do you plan to use SS ? What is the main purpose ?

I love my SS and it's kind of cruiser/ weekend family trip car. It serves this purpose well.

As expected for a V8 it's not kind on petrol, but I did not expect that anyway...

My best tip when buying one is to test drive it immediately after cold start in the morning and listen to excessive rattling noise. Some of these suffer from excessive piston to bore clearance and make ratlling noise until warm....

Other than that no major issues that can't be easily rectified...

Why

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GTT
Yeah it will mainly be a daily cruiser with power when i need to overtake on highway.
I will keep that in mind for checking for excessive rattling noise during cold starts, thanks for your input.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
You could get number plates “ITISNT” that will take care of one point!!
SS will definitely prefer 98 too.
I would say get an SSV if you can find one you like, seem to be more desirable these days.
Be prepared to throw some money at it for the basic mods at minimum,
full exhaust, OTR, tune will see a healthy increase and wake it up a bit.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Test drive the SS before you buy it, and try to be really critical. Apart from both being "family sedans" they are fairly different to drive (I realise that it's most likely the Skyline is a 2dr, but it's derived from the sedan & you could "sorta" call it a 2dr sedan in a way, they're not exactly poky in the back seat like a Toyobaru).

A Commodore isn't going to be as well put-together as a pre-Renault Nissan, it just isn't. You say yours is stock, as such I suspect that when an SS gets to it's age, the SS is going to need more effort to keep it on the road.
Having said that, at 15-20 years newer you're probably getting ahead there.

Interiors are a divisive thing, and initially I looked at the SS interior & wondered "WTF are they thinking with so many different materials as highlights?!", but the kinda-Chevyness of it fails to surprise you after a while, and it becomes a relatively pleasant place to be without all the raw inexpensive-looking plastic that even top-spec 90's Nissans had.
The seat may not be as comfy as the Skyline, mind you.

Again if your Skyline is stock, I suspect the SS might have nicer handling. At least, it's got good feel, from memory the Skyline's more a "roadholding" than a "handling" car isn't it? ie. you can manhandle it into sticking to the road like poo-to-a-blanket, but it doesn't feel as delicately nuanced as it could?

I doubt the fuel usage will be much different, and at the 210.9c/L for ULP98 I paid the other day, filling the SS would be more like $130 than $80!

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Dont buy an ls3,good chance the motor will have issues.
Even if its not noisy on startup theres a real good chance they have just put thicker oil in to quieten the piston slap or dodgy lifters,couple weeks down the track youll be regretting your purchase.
Stick to a 6.0,alot less chance of getting a dodgy motor.
Good luck.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Something else I should add, harking back to another thread ... and especially if you think you're at all likely to touch the suspension or the wheels ... maybe consider a V8 Calais. They're cheaper, and if you're swapping those bits anyway then you don't really lose anything at all (unless you were considering a Redline - in which case you don't lose much).

Only downside is, same as with SS wagon, no manual 'box in Calais.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
It's a great time to sell your R34, even rough cars are selling for premium prices

Which model SS, I like my old VX as I personally don't like the look of the VE-VF, but as stated, personal preference

+1 for looking at Calais, or even a Statesman if you looking for a cool 4 door cruiser

Be aware that people are asking drug money for good clean examples of any V8 Commodore now as well, although you can still pick up clean examples for sensible money if you look around and be patient

Disclaimer: like a standard R34, V8 Commodores are not fast or inspiring in standard form performance wise, but if you throw a cam and zorst on one, they sound boss

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Filling up full tank on 98 costs around $80.

Add an extra 6 litres of fuel for the SS over what your R34 has per tank.

Disclaimer: like a standard R34, V8 Commodores are not fast or inspiring in standard form performance wise, but if you throw a cam and zorst on one, they sound boss

Very true

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Dont buy an ls3,good chance the motor will have issues.
Even if its not noisy on startup theres a real good chance they have just put thicker oil in to quieten the piston slap or dodgy lifters,couple weeks down the track youll be regretting your purchase.
Stick to a 6.0,alot less chance of getting a dodgy motor.
Good luck.

Oil thickness does not quieten piston slap. Believe me, I tried ;)

As for the rest, I don't think we have any solid evidence that 6.0L will be more reliable in a long run than 6.2L. My guess is that they would be about the same...