Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Selling R34 GTT for a SS?

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
The piston slap thing is funny. If you are into mucking around with HP Tuners there is even a timing adder table dedicated solely to piston slap.
If they had less advance on the timing would that help? I realise that you would lose abit of h.p. but that would be preferable to the warm up rattle. Some of the startup noises, even though they go away as it warms up, can be very concerning.
Ours has only got 90k on it and the a.f.m. doesn't help matters, but somewhere in the near future some ones going to have to spend a lot of $ to rectify.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Don't know enough about it.

But they are adding stupid amounts of timing in from what I can tell. These are the low load areas of the map, decel and revving in neutral.

1643324246130.png

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
So E85 is pretty useless then unless you want to pay even more to run the car. Costs more per litre and you use a heap more of it.

I’ll stick with the LPG I’ve got in my SSV. About 110 octane and even though you use more it only costs $1.10/L.
I guess if it’s economic then it doesn’t sell itself well but it has other benefits!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
So E85 is pretty useless then unless you want to pay even more to run the car. Costs more per litre and you use a heap more of it.

OK for weekend warrior / track car.

Daily driver.....not so much.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
OK for weekend warrior / track car.

Daily driver.....not so much.
LPG vapour injection is the other way around. Good for the daily drive but not so good for the weekend warrior. I flip mine to petrol if I’m doing a spirited drive as the torque is better on petrol.

LPG liquid injection on the other hand, best of both worlds. Same consumption as petrol and can get a lot of power out of it because of the higher octane. Expensive to install though.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
hey all
thinking of selling my r34 gtt that i have owned for 10 years for a commodore ss, i don't know jack about commodores apart from they sound good when you give it and quiet when commuting,

My experience owning a r34 gtt is

-Attracts attention from fully sik lebs that tailgate you and wanna drag you at the lights all the time despite r34 is stock as a rock and is annoying as sh*t.
- Filling up full tank on 98 costs around $80.
-10 years owning a skyline and now getting old, i much prefer something comfortable with less attention.
-"is it a GTR?"

Many friends said im crazy for selling my skyline for a commodore but i really love them when i was small.

Wondering what you SS owner's opinion on owning a SS or SSV?

Tips you can give for buying a SS?

look for and research factory extras, if you end up just looking at Redlines they often have things like staggered rims, paddle shifters (auto only obv), sunroof, etc all fitted already.

Take more than one for a test drive (ideally drive three or four) so you get an idea of what they are supposed to drive like.

look at any service histories and make sure recalls have been done.

Also personally i avoid modded cars, mostly because you don't know off the bat what the "good" mods are and what's gonna wreck the vehicle.

Check the engine mounts (known to fail quite early) also ask about the air con line (there is a hose that goes and will cost you a few hundy to replace.

Set your expectations on the MyLink, it's not amazing for navigation in some cities, but works well enough for handsfree phone, usb music and even bluetooth music. Only series 1 has CD.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Oil thickness does not quieten piston slap. Believe me, I tried ;)

As for the rest, I don't think we have any solid evidence that 6.0L will be more reliable in a long run than 6.2L. My guess is that they would be about the same...
Id be keen to hear from a heap of members who have had brand new 6.0 engines with piston slap,so put your hands up if you have?
Would have to be a heap of people to be on an even keel with the ls3,so many more 6.0 out there.
The fact that ls3 owners think piston slap is acceptable is just silly talk :eek:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Id be keen to hear from a heap of members who have had brand new 6.0 engines with piston slap,so put your hands up if you have?
Would have to be a heap of people to be on an even keel with the ls3,so many more 6.0 out there.
The fact that ls3 owners think piston slap is acceptable is just silly talk :eek:
I thought that 'piston slap' could actually be acceptable where the engine was designed for it - or probably more accurately, where the designers found it cheaper to make the engine last using design-features other than not having piston slap?

For example don't some of the early turbo cars have piston slap, they just do; they don't fall apart as a result, a Porsche 930 is I believe quite a reliable & long-lived car, but I'm pretty sure they're cacophonous at start-up.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
I thought that 'piston slap' could actually be acceptable where the engine was designed for it - or probably more accurately, where the designers found it cheaper to make the engine last using design-features other than not having piston slap?

For example don't some of the early turbo cars have piston slap, they just do; they don't fall apart as a result, a Porsche 930 is I believe quite a reliable & long-lived car, but I'm pretty sure they're cacophonous at start-up.
When these engines were new the piston slap or "rattle of a high performance motor" as the G.M. spin merchants used to call it, would have been bearly audible. It's only when they get higher mileage on them later on that they can become louder. At this stage surprise suprise
most of them would be out of warranty. GM don't see piston slap as a durability concern. When I complained about ours they said all Gen 4 LS2 Motors had piston slap and if l didn't like it, then I should think about selling it. As the motor wears its going to get louder and louder.