Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Series 1 or 2

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
I suppose the stickers could be a dealer specific addition. I have seen them on other cars as well - not just HSV's either. I shall enquire the next time I wander over to the dealership for a yarn or part... I had another look in the engine compartment and still can't find that plate. I did however find two holes that appeared out of place; must have fallen off or something. Oh well. I'm not planning on losing any sleep over it.

Mossman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Exec
Compliance plates are only put on the cars that have significant mods done. Stuff like the interior is only a cosmetic upgrade and do not affect the car should you need to make a claim through insurance as say would be sports suspension or larger rims At least thats what ive been told by a manager at HBD when i asked him about adding an SS front bar to my exec and would it need to be listed on my compliance plate.

Reaction score
I heard a rumour that the Gen III motor's power output in the commodore is controlled almost entirely through the exhaust system. Meaning that by reducing the restriction slightly with each model, they achieve the 10kw increase. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

From memory the exhaust system is actually different in the VY SS series I and series II models. Is it possible the series II had slightly less restriction and the ECU is capable of compensating for this change automatically (meaning the ECU wouldn't need to be different)?

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
Mossman said:
...Compliance plates are only put on the cars that have significant mods done...
It is all starting to make sense - lol. The only HBD upgrade on mine was aesthetic (I think). I believe that it was a steering wheel upgrade to leather, that I have since changed (worn and unsightly). Absolutely everything under the bonnet is just as the general ordered. Once again - oh well - lol. :thumbsup:

bertvj

Reaction score
Members Ride
Rodeo
I have a x-copper white Series II SS built Feb04.

Puggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Man Sedan Cosmo
I have a Series II VY SS in Cosmo and the mirrors STILL HAVE BLACK bottom halves.

In the SS it's easy (besides colour). Gearknob is in metal instead of black plastic in the Series I. Also Series I had a 5th 18in Alloy, Series II has a steel 80kmh max spare, and boot re shaped to suit smaller wheel.

I squeezed in a 5th Alloy though, so it can be done.

HSVKEV260R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY1 HSV Clubsport R8 M6
My VY Clubby was bought in July 2003 ,by August 2003 the Series 2 was released (and boy was I pissed off cos the dealer never told me!!!), so any Commodore made in June 2003 would definitely be a series 1. By the way, what colour is yours?

S

steve_sarge

hi all. We just bought a S2 HBD Acclaim and were wondering what the upgrade plate letters actually stand for. I have been searching for a while now and can't figure out where to look. Letters stamped on plate are C R & B. We have reversing sensor (Which I believe is an added extra) help is appreciated as the curiosity is getting the better of me.

Cheers

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
steve_sarge said:
...We have reversing sensor (Which I believe is an added extra)...
Reversing sensors are standard in the VYII Acclaim. If you have a compliance plate, then I would assume that the upgrades are mechancial in nature (suspension, exhaust, etc), and not aesthetic. Give your dealer a ring and ask them.

S

steve_sarge

cheers for that vy_acclaim.

I will ask my mate in the svc dpt at Holden again. He gave me a printout today on my vehicle based on last 6 digits of VIN. the list has about 35 items so it is difficult to tell the added extras aside from the vehicle manual which denotes some items as (if fitted) which would pertain to "models after the entry level" if reversing sensor is standard.